ISOFIX in a 1986 T25

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AlBundy
80-90 Mem No: 17633

ISOFIX in a 1986 T25

Post by AlBundy »

I have tried searching the forum, but not seen this subject answered, so hoping that more knowledgeable people can help.

I have a 1986 VW T25 Bilbo Conversion, with the original rock n roll bed with lap straps, but I intend to use this as a family vehicle, so plan to put isofix and 3 point seatbelts. I think the van furniture is going to get in the way of the seatbelt fitting on one side, so need another solution.

The question is, does anyone have any experience of fitting isofix and/or 3 point seatbelts in a 1986 van and can suggest a suitable way of achieving this. I am on with major changes to the van to do this.

Thanks in advance!
1986 1.6 Diesel Bilbo Arragon conversion.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: ISOFIX in a 1986 T25

Post by silverbullet »

I understand that some people have bolted the Ford Focus Mk1 isofix bracket in with some success. Not tried it myself.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Here's a thread on it-

viewtopic.php?t=153149

I've got one fitted, as said from a ford focus. There are fitting photos in that thread Image

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

AlBundy

Post by AlBundy »

Thank you, that's great that it can be done. Please can I ask what type of seat you have, the existing one installed looks too high to make that solution work, so I think I will need to replace it.

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

Think I've got an isofix bracket in the shed if you need one, my lads out grown their seat's by the time I got round to fitting it. If you haven't already got three point seatbelts in the back, I'd just spend my time and money sorting those, you'll need them soon enough.

ManicGTI
80-90 Mem No: 17408

Post by ManicGTI »

I have full width Rock n Roll bed (Devon conversion oringally I think), 3 point seatbelts each side, lapbelt in the middle.

- 5Year old on booster cushion on one side (the low seatbelt actually fits her better than it does an adult!)

- 3 year old on the other side in a strap in seat (Joie Every Stage).  This seat works brilliantly with 3 point seatbelts, flexible enogugh to fit any of our kids if needed, not too heavy, quickly moves between the van and car.  They now do 'FX' suffix models (Stages FX, Everystage FX etc) that can be strapped in OR isofix, I'll probably buy one of these for the youngest when I see a good deal.

- 1.5 yr old in the middle, he was originally in a Maxi Cosi on the older 'easyfix' seat base (Seatbelt mounting, worked well with lapbelt).  I then bought a MaxiCosi Pebble as a gamble but it didn't fix the easyfix base so I pulled my finger out and fitted isofix as I had intended to originally, allowing me to fit it on a newer Familyfix base I also use in my Mk5 Golf.

You can get isofix brackets from loads of cars, but the Ford bracket https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ford+isofix+bracket is convenient as they are cheap, plentiful and a one peice design so you can't "cock" up spacing.

Whether Isofix bracket fitment is straight forward or not depends on your bed height, can you access the firewall horiztonally from the seat cushion?  If you can, the ford bracket can be bolted to firewall with spreader plates on the engine side. 

My seat/bed however had higher base/cushions than most, so i've had to make a frame to mount my isofix brackets on.  It has ended up looking a bit like a car harness bar/rear strut brace, currently just have isofix in the middle but it's full width so can add brackets int eh other two spots if needed.

As below, you'd be mad not to get 3 point belts fitted either way.  I plan on getting one for the middle seat at some point.

1990 - EJ251 - 5sp AAP - 'Weekender'

AlBundy

Post by AlBundy »

Thank you, very very useful.

The thickness of the rock n roll cushions means that I have to go with your plan to make a frame to mount the isofix on. Do you have any pictures of this so that I can see how it is done? Did you fabricate / install yourself, or did you get someone to do this for you?

I will definitely be getting 3 point seatbelts installed too, these children grow up very quickly!

ManicGTI
80-90 Mem No: 17408

Post by ManicGTI »

Fabricating myself.  2x 6mm Steel flat bar welded up from existing seatbelt mounts, welded to a horizontal steel square bar (IIRC 25mm2) sat a few inches above top of firewall (but still low enough for bed to fold).   I'll be adding further mounts/brackets at each end when I get around to it. Until the the ends are also secured I'll just use isofix in the middle seat.  Have also added 3x loops for seat tethers.

I've now moved smallest one in the middle up to a Joie Every Stage FX now.

Will taake some pics when I get a chance.
1990 - EJ251 - 5sp AAP - 'Weekender'