Ignition fault

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MPORTO
80-90 Mem No: 0

Ignition fault

Post by MPORTO »

Hello,

I'm new, not long bought a 1981 t25 2l air cooled. I have a weird fault, with the ignition on I could hear a clicking sound. I traced that back to the distrubtor cap, to find that it's sparking when the engine isn't running, just with the ignition on.

I can't see why this would be normal, maybe I'm beening thick? I've whipped off the distrubtor to try and test the hall sensor. I seem to be getting 12v on the center pin all the time. I was expecting maybe around 5v?

I'm also worried that it maybe I have combination of faults, as it has an ignition module, could that be at fault?

I have had a look though various topic already bit didn't find anything exactly as I have.

Only other thing I found was the idle box had been bypassed. I've plugged it back in for now.

I bought this as I non runner in fairness, she turns over OK. I haven't done a comps check yet but am planning on tomorrow.

My gut feel is to just replace the hall sensor and the ignition unit as they don't seem to be very expensive. While I was researching I can across this forum.

Any help/advice is welcomed,
Mark

MPORTO
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Ignition fault

Post by MPORTO »

If its any help to anyone. To clarify, you put the ignition on and you could here, like a clicking, noise which turned out to be sparking. Put a spark plug lead on the coil and found it pulsing constantly...

Unplugged the the hall sensor and was still the same.

I've replaced the ignition module and it seems to have sorted it. I managed to get my hall sensor switching in my distributor, but I couldnt get it to before, so have replaced  that with a later one with a new plug.

Went through the ignition system while I was waiting for parts and found a couple of dodgy leads, which I found had the screw in ends so trimmed the lead back and reconnected.

Got some fuel but wasn't getting to the carbs, Have replaced the fuel lines, still didnt work... Then tried putting a small amount of fuel down the carbs and fired straight up briefly. So Ran off a can of fuel in the back and shes alive!

Have ordered a low pressure 12v pump to replace my pump. Very happy with my purchase. :)