Twin headlights - Switching between run and high

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Twin headlights - Switching between run and high

Post by dickspanner »

Good evening everybody,

I am currently getting my crewcab ready for a MOT (now with a boring oil burner for those who know my crewcab the Cosworth v6 set up on floor next to it) and having a electrical problem.

I have twin square headlamps which worked fine but are now playing up. I have tried a different light switch, different steering selector and even a different fuse box all with no result. The side light comes on then all lights with no option to switch between the two.

I have seen a different harness you can buy which is a upgrade. The problem seams to be something silly rather than spending out on a upgrade harness when it worked before.

Has anybody had this problem before and if so how was it rectified and if not does anybody have a wiring diagram so I can upgrade the harness myself and much cheaper costs.

cheers

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Twin headlights - Switching between run and high

Post by Mocki »

The headlights should only be able to come on with the ignition on, even with headlights selected , you would only have sidelights with key off .
The control is only from the steering column switch between dip and main , there is no relay for the headlights .

You dont say what age your van is , later vans had what is known as “dim dip” , where the dip beam comes on at reduced power when the sidelights are selected and the ignition on , they work via a resistor in the front wing behind the headlight , the wires to it are yellow
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Post by dickspanner »

Thanks for responce.

It is G reg crewcab with standard front wiring harness.

we have tried replacing the control stalk so can rule out that as old and replacement gave same fault.

The high beam is staying on, has no affect pulling on the stalk which is new, also switch new, which works, side lights first then all lights, according to manual fuse 21 and 22 are for high beam but nothing happens if fuses are pulled, so high beam getting feed from somewhere else, I could do with a picture of rear of fusebox to check certain wires that could go in several places,

This is why I may consider upgrading the harness to replace it all (lighting) but the kit is expensive on ebay for something g that may be a simple fix as like I said it worked before but has been parked up for a while and water got into my electrics as well (hence replacing all switches and fuse box)

cheers

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Search Robseys posts, he did a complete article on the late fusebox and its pin outs
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Fitting the wiring upgrade will most likely still learn you with the same fault, start by pulling the wires off the lights one wire at a time , if 2 lights go out with one wire removed follow that wire

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Do you mean this one?

viewtopic.php?t=173773
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished