Own up - who's had a pop-top fitted?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Re: Own up - who's had a pop-top fitted?

Post by Smosh »

I have a pop top and love it. Where else do you keep all the crap when you're parked up? It's also more convenient when you need to get the boat to go anywhere!
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

'GHOSTWHEEL' wrote:
nicq wrote:
keith wrote:Yeah...crouching down and banging your head is great fun. :wink:

Especially when trying to cook :run

Have you got the little pop-top fitted to your van?

I fitted the turret top myself, dead easy already had a sun roof just a matter of cutting roof out and fitting it.
Cost £650 couple of years ago and it gives you a raised area about a meter sguare.
2.1 Twin slider

'GHOSTWHEEL'
80-90 Mem No: 9537

Post by 'GHOSTWHEEL' »

where abouts did you get the turret top from? Would you be able to post a picture from inside of the van with the top raised.

Thanks

Andy :ok
Check out my DJ mixes.
http://www.mixcloud.com/LiminalClass/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scimdiesel
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by scimdiesel »

Seriously considering a poptop myself. The kids are growing and the amount if stuff we carry seams to get more every trip!. My research is there's poptopsuk, space and reimo. Apparently austops but its not on there website. Any one had any positive/ neg ecperiences?. Any advise?

nicq

Post by nicq »

'GHOSTWHEEL' wrote:where abouts did you get the turret top from? Would you be able to post a picture from inside of the van with the top raised.

Thanks

The pop top is still available http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-POP-TOPS-U ... 233a96642d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The van is stripped out at the moment for a refit but I will look for pics.
2.1 Twin slider

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

I'm currently tempted again by the spaceroofs unit. I'd fit it myself but it is still a pretty big cost and I keep thinking the alternative is to buy a van with a pop top on! Plus it seems a shame to cut up a Tintop...every one that gets cut is another one lost...is it possible to keep the removed roof section and re-fit it in the future with the welding on the inside hidden by the roof lining? Why would I?

But, on the flip side, the kids are getting bigger, the awning is great but I do a fair few one night trips away for which it would be nice to not take the awning. And standing up would be pleasant! Also, I know and trust my van so even though it is maybe not the most cost effective route to a pop to I'd at least know I had a good van that I know well and I've done a lot of work to it to make it fit my lifestyle.

Interestingly there is a chap on a well known auction site selling a westie-style roof kit that looks identical to the spaceroofs kit but is a few £hundred cheaper. Anyone got any experience of that kit? Easily found if you put the correct terms into the search facility, based in Washington.

My other thought is that I'll soon want to change from the front driver seat plus bench seat arrangement to 2 captains swivel chairs. The bench seat has been great (no more "I want to go in the front" arguments) but again more space needed so 2 swivels might be the future. Basically I'm looking at all ways of being able to keep the 25 and not have to move up to a motorhome! Even considering putting the 25 into storage for a few years buying a motorhome in the meantime and going back to the 25 when the kids are older.

Of course what I need is to buy a van with a good pop top and swivel seats already fitted (oh and a propex) and move the bits across and sell off the parts of the donor van. But that takes time, space and a lot of cleaning up and if the pop top roof needs a new canvas within a couple years could be a false economy....

Decisions decisions...
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

BTW loads of stuff on layout here... http://vwt25camper.info/
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

'GHOSTWHEEL'
80-90 Mem No: 9537

Post by 'GHOSTWHEEL' »

nicq wrote:
'GHOSTWHEEL' wrote:where abouts did you get the turret top from? Would you be able to post a picture from inside of the van with the top raised.

Thanks

The pop top is still available http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-POP-TOPS-U ... 233a96642d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The van is stripped out at the moment for a refit but I will look for pics.

Thanks for that.

The eBay photos are detaild enough of it raised.

Does it suit the van when it's closed? And was it a straight forward job to fit?

I'm really tempted as im only looking for a bit of standing room on short trips away.
Check out my DJ mixes.
http://www.mixcloud.com/LiminalClass/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nicq

Post by nicq »

If you spend a bit of time fitting it to the roof profile which is not difficult with a jigsaw after the pop top is fitted to the van it looks good.
Absolutely everything was supplied rivets screws and timber for cut out trim. All I had to buy was high temp glue for the roof trim.
2.1 Twin slider