help with brake caliper problem please

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

billymaya
80-90 Mem No: 3293

help with brake caliper problem please

Post by billymaya »

hi guys right so my wheel was getting a bit hot the other day so ive taken the wheel off to investigate had brand new pads put on less than 12 months ago and the passenger side is down to bare metal it looks like the piston on the caliper was stuck down pressing the pad onto the disk and wore it out ive had the caliper off but cant get the piston to retract enuf to get some new discs in, im a bit stumped as the piston will move out with a few pumps of the brake pedal but wont go back in am i doing something wrong urgent help needed thanks

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

I had a similar problem on an old Pug 205. One front brake caliper was binding on. I changed the caliper thinking it was siezed and it still did it. Turned out to be the flexi which had broken down inside and was acting like a one way valve. Might be worth taking your caliper off the hose to see if it can be compressed back. Might be nothing to do with it but just a thought.
Mike.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

billymaya

Post by billymaya »

hiya mike some one has suggested that it could of been the hoses as they collapse internaly when there is a problem thus like you said the piston moves when the pedal is pressed but wont go back in again, might have to be a trip to gsf 2morrow to get some more hoses me thinks thanks for the advice :)

greenman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by greenman »

hi look on eac its the way to go ;)
if you need to call i can talk you round it.
will be on vix car all day.

billymaya

Post by billymaya »

oooo i dont know i hear their all a bit dodgy over on that exeter air cooled yer know lol they might lead me astray :)

thanks i might give you a ring 2morrow :)