Replacing panel advice

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

biker1981
80-90 Mem No: 0

Replacing panel advice

Post by biker1981 »

Just some advice pls, I have a number if panels to replace including middle panel and large rear panels. I'm confident at welding but have never really done large flat panels.

Just wondered how people were welding say the middle panel. Are the welding down the seam line or welding from behind on the supporting frame. Just keen to keep the seam lines and reduce warping.

Any help appreciated

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Replacing panel advice

Post by Plasticman »

never ever ever weld the seams up nit even tacks always get to the rear and puddle through as per OE . as always posyt up picks for clarification
mm

cassandra
80-90 Mem No: 15531

Post by cassandra »

Hi, the correct method is to drill the existing spot welds then either spot weld or drill and plug the new panel where the original welds were. If you cannot get to the inside of original panel joins then mig the outside and grind back to give the required effect, a small air cut off tool with a thin disc is ideal to do this. As for repair panels then best way is to 'joggle' the lower panel to give an overlap then mig weld in short tacks, cooling the panels after each weld to void distortion. Remember to use a weld thru coating on all joins and to apply liberal amounts of waxoyl after painting to prevent future rust problems. If you are resealing panel lines then primer first, then the urethane sealer then the paint.

Hope this helps
1981 Eurec Cassandra 2.0 CU RHD!
BMW R Nine T Scrambler.
ETC

biker1981

Post by biker1981 »

thanks guys - was it spot welded at the front ? do it just grind back the paint till I see the spot welds?

Jawin89
80-90 Mem No: 13200

Post by Jawin89 »

post some pictures of the areas you want to deal with and then someone can offer the correct advice. It is always difficuly working from descriptions only..picture tells a thousand words... and all that.
1989 1.9 WBX pop top

biker1981

Post by biker1981 »

Photo uploaded
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 4891 times

biker1981

Post by biker1981 »

Jawin89 wrote:post some pictures of the areas you want to deal with and then someone can offer the correct advice. It is always difficuly working from descriptions only..picture tells a thousand words... and all that.
Add pic mate

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

cassandra wrote:Hi, the correct method is to drill the existing spot welds then either spot weld or drill and plug the new panel where the original welds were. If you cannot get to the inside of original panel joins then mig the outside and grind back to give the required effect, a small air cut off tool with a thin disc is ideal to do this. As for repair panels then best way is to 'joggle' the lower panel to give an overlap then mig weld in short tacks, cooling the panels after each weld to void distortion. Remember to use a weld thru coating on all joins and to apply liberal amounts of waxoyl after painting to prevent future rust problems. If you are resealing panel lines then primer first, then the urethane sealer then the paint.

Hope this helps
please do not post suggesting welding the front seam and cutting it back , this is a bodge of the first order and is not done ...end off . othwerwise all fine :wink:
mm

jhobson
80-90 Mem No: 7840

Post by jhobson »

metalmick8y wrote: welding the front seam and cutting it back , this is a bodge of the first order and is not done ...
Can you explain why please. When is spot the right thing to do, and when is seam the right thing, and when is seam wrong? I've got a lot to do so I'd like to be clear on the rules. Thanks

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

It was spot welded from behind at the factory. Why didn't vw weld along the seam on the outside? Because it looks bad and it's no longer a flexible seam and the weld that you will have to grind back so far to make it look right will be so thin that it will probably crack anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

I'm only on my phone but search the last half dozen builds I've done , every type of join you wish is pictoraly covered
Or maybe some one can link you, spotting or ither is nearly always from the rear , there us no valid excuse for welding down a seam save laziness/lack of knowledge/skill,
mm

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

metalmick8y wrote:there us no valid excuse for welding down a seam save laziness/lack of knowledge/skill,
mm

One way or another, that covers most of us!
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

nonsense, ive only ever seen a couple of jobs where thats been done :wink: and one was a professional establishment, i think the poster was confused :lol:
mm

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

This fella on Youtube shows how not to do it... :run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5FQXt5OGHg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

I have seen quite a few of that guys videos and even though my knowledge of bodywork repairs is not good I always thought that his repairs looked a little rough round the edges.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)