CU engine - should there be a pipe here?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

djaychela
80-90 Mem No: 0

CU engine - should there be a pipe here?

Post by djaychela »

Hello All

I've got an '82 Devon with CU air-cooled engine. When I got it, it had been much messed about - non-vac points dizzy, ran like hell, carb settings all wrong, and I'm going through everything one-by-one to get it all working as it should do (mostly thanks to someone else having already asked my question and BigHerb having answered it!). Got the correct DVDA dizzy on there, re-instated the electronic ignition, got the timing right, ported vacuum, auto chokes, balanced the carbs, etc.

Anyway, there's one thing left: On the square air cleaner on the top of the engine, there are three places for pipes to connect to the top cover.

One at the rear (relative to the vehicle) connects to the engine breather.
One on the left connects to the left-hand carb to provide the air for the idle system

And then there's one that points towards the front of the vehicle (far side from you on the engine bay) that currently isn't connected to anything, and I've looked at all the CU engine bay pics I can find on eBay, and no-one seems to have it connected. Should it be?

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Re: CU engine - should there be a pipe here?

Post by petethefeet »

Hi,
I had the same issue when I put the standard airbox back on after the PO fitted pancake filters. I have just blanked it off with a bolt if it's the one on the front right of the air box near the air inlet.
Would be good to know what is was used for.

PS the fuel filter and pipe have been re routed since the picture was taken, before some says.
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Post by paperhouselad »

Ours is blanked off with a plastic bung, a friend did it when he set the engine up.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

paperhouselad wrote:Ours is blanked off with a plastic bung, a friend did it when he set the engine up.
It is a redundant connection for when it was used with older engines. it is usually blanked of with a plug.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

djaychela
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by djaychela »

Thanks folks, I'll blank it off!