Gear selection issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncronaut
80-90 Mem No: 2175

Gear selection issues

Post by syncronaut »

Hi folks. No stranger to T25s (and their foibles) but looking for any info to narrow down the cause of issue with a fresh van to the collection. Lots of play in gearshift. Van done approx 140k miles. 1.6TD with 5 speed dogleg gearbox. ie 1st opposite reverse. Selects all gears moderately well apart from reverse which is nigh on impossible to locate. Have managed it once or twice buts its far from easy, but as we live up a narrow lane that sometimes involves reversing to let folks by, we can't live without reverse gear. Anyone had this problem and willing to share how they sorted it. Hoping its a linkage problem rather than gear box itself. Just sounding things out before I get a full bushing kit from JK or likewise. Any useful tips from gearbox wizard Aidan? Gearbox not noisy and clutch appears to be operating OK. By the way Aidan, not far from you as we are in Cemmas, near Machynleth. All info gratefully received. Ta
86 Syncro 2.1 velle RHD
91 Syncro 2.1 camo van RHD

91 Holdsworth Villa 1.6td RHD
Member number 2175

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Gear selection issues

Post by Aidan »

on the five speed there is a lock out tab on the forward section of linkage and a tab in the box under the stick - you go as if going for 1st, then push the stick down before moving forward
there's plenty on the wiki about the linkage and there's numerous posts about it
the four speed is like the syncro
the five speed is something else, overly complicated imho but when it's ALL in good condition it does work surprisingly well

syncronaut

Post by syncronaut »

Thanks for pointers Aidan. Have had T25s with 5 speeds before now, but this one has a fair bit of waggle in the gear change. Would you recommend a full refurb of all bushes then? I did access the linkage to start with, to grease everything as experience tells me that they can get a bit dry through neglect. The first thing that fell out of the forward linkage box (under the stick) was the rubber linkage gaiter. If I fail in my endeavours, do you fancy helping set the linkage up? For an appropriate fee of course. I have to come up to Bwlch y Ddar shortly anyway, so wont be far from you. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. Regards
86 Syncro 2.1 velle RHD

Member number 2175

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

If you want to book it in with Station Works Garage (01691 649649) they are pretty familiar with the T3 linkage and repairs to now; grease in the box under the stick is only ever a temporary ease it's actually designed to have little lube as lube attracts dirt which makes it a grinding paste. Without seeing it it's difficult to advise what is required, but it's definitely a lot easier to sort with a couple of pairs of eyes and the van on a two post lift rather than crawling around on the ground. I have some of the linkage parts in stock but not everything, especially five speed stick parts. Most of them are available from Brickie

syncronaut

Post by syncronaut »

Thanks for that Aidan. Am currently away from home but will contact the garage recommended on my return. Definitely easier with more trained eyes and from a post ramp too. Ta again
86 Syncro 2.1 velle RHD

Member number 2175