Hitop to Viking Roof

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Hitop to Viking Roof

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Saw a van on ebay where this had been done. Does anyone know what's involved and likely cost?
Honorary "Dave" 

Sir Brixalot

Re: Hitop to Viking Roof

Post by Sir Brixalot »

just checking in
Honorary "Dave" 

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Take off hi-top, repair inevitable rust, fit viking roof. Cost depends on who does the work (ie. you, or someone you pay to do it), and how much rust repair is involved.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

It'd be someone else doing it. I'd been told it wasn't possible because too much is cut out of the roof fitting the hitop to retro fit a pop top. Seeing one on ebay made me think that someone on the forum may have already done the conversion before and will know what's involved.
Honorary "Dave" 

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Have a look inside your van - does it have one square hole in the middle of the roof, or one long hole (ie. the whole length), or three separate holes (with the roof braces in between)? If it's the first one, then you should be okay. If it's one of the other two, then probably not. If you're serious about this, you could cut off the whole roof at the gutter, and replace the whole thing with the 'correct' roof, but that's expensive, and probably not worth doing with a Viking roof (not as popular as Westies).
Someone who knows about these things is Ady Joad at Boxwagen, based down in Bournemouth. He did my tin-top to pop-top conversion, and I know he's done a few others on here as well.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Good advice. Cheers. Had a look, looks like I've got the one with roof braces so might be easier to find one with a viking roof already.
Honorary "Dave"