5 speed gearbox question

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

5 speed gearbox question

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hello

I have done a complete gear stick and linkage bush replacement and have managed to erase my linkage setting marks (scribed into dirt instead of metal) on the splines joint. Before I set it using wiki could someone please clarify what neutral is on the gearbox? I know the cup should be vertical but does the arm need to be pushed all the way in to the box (overcoming the spring pressure)? Once I know what neutral is on the box I should be able to get somewhere as currently going found in circles :-(
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: 5 speed gearbox question

Post by ajsimmo »

Vertical is neutral. That is all.
If it's not moved forward or backwards it's not in gear, regardless of moving in or out, and therefore it's in neutral.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Great. Thanks mate.
Now to try and set the thing :-)
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Make sure you get the rear bracket that holds the bush and linkage to the gearbox on correctly.
If you don't, you will lose some gears....
Check that if you have been going round in circles
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

if you are going around in circles then you need to straighten the steering wheel

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Ha, thanks Aidan.

I now have all gears although 1st is a little stiff. Because I have only driven it once since I got it I was expecting an enormous improvement in gearchange once replacing all of the linkage bushes and gearstick parts but I think it still feels a little sloppy. I don't know if it's because of driving my Alfa 159 which is so positive in each gear that I was expecting too much of a 28 year old van? Just wondering if I should mark where the clamp bolt is now and try to make some further adjustments?

Does the gearchange in your t25 feel really positive?

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

My daily drive is a manual five speed Focus with a nice short gear lever and an almost too slick connection with the cogs.
The 5 speed dogleg (racing!?) gearbox in my T25 High Top however is connected via the usual long linkage and long gear lever and the layout is completely opposite to the Focus.

After the Focus the T25 does feel a bit sloppy and while I still occasionally give following vehicles a shock by engaging reverse at the traffic lights etc, I have never actually let up the clutch.

It can be a bit off a faff changing up and down both in traffic and say navigating snake like roads up and down mountains especially loaded for touring or towing and the the quick changes between 2-3 suits this. While the 4-5 shift is just right for A roads and motorways. Suits me fine.
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

1-2 shift has become a bit of a lottery on my 5-speed but I now find that the rearmost onion bush has got sloppy again.
Dammit, only lasted about 40,000 miles at best...
I must do the middle bush now, but its hiding up over the 85litre SA fuel tank :-(

Sent by Morse code from the bunker

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hmm interesting responses. I may have another play with setting up the linkage then, half a spline over to see if that makes any difference, all marked properly before I start this time though :-)