just bought a '90 T25 need advice

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

just bought a '90 T25 need advice

Post by danmetallic »

As others have mentioned you've chosen the one van conversion that probably should be left as is. It's fine people saying "it's your van, do as you wish" but you will have paid a premium for a Westy and it would be a shame to wilfully and irreversibly alter something that is generally regarded as the best there is. Even removing that grey upholstery ;-) Do keep the original material. If you're intent on making a change then carefully remove the interior and keep hold of it and put your own in. Or vinyl wrapping the surfaces and using rugs and throws to achieve your desired look. But please don't paint those cabinets. You'll wipe thousands (that you no don't spent buying him) off his value.

PS it strikes me that this is possibly a wind up :D
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: just bought a '90 T25 need advice

Post by kevtherev »

Look at the westy owners twitching.. :D
It's only a bit of vinyl and wood.

It's not always all about value, it's always about the owners choice.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

kevtherev wrote:Look at the westy owners twitching.. :D

And touching themselves inappropriately.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Post by greasemonkey »

kevtherev wrote:Look at the westy owners twitching.. :D
It's only a bit of vinyl and wood.

It's not always all about value, it's always about the owners choice.

Lol, to be honest if it gets ruined it does me a favour as mine becomes an even rarer example :D

It's not about being twitchy, just don't want to see someone throw good money away without first being aware of what they are doing.

I'm amazed someone hasn't been along to tell a hilarious toast joke yet though :wink:

krissyboy
80-90 Mem No: 14217

Post by krissyboy »

Well this is controversial topic.. :?

I will admit, after taking ages to find an Atlantic in good nic the last thing I wanted to do was reupholster the interior and paint the cupboards but in hindsight I already knew what it was buying :ok

In the end, its up to the owner, but you would always have to look at the cost of the van & resale value, without seeing a picture, its hard to gauge. imo I wouldn't touch it, leave as is, but that's me! :mrgreen:

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

I guess it's your call, but your sure not going to increase its value by doing anything that's not totally reversible. The question I'd be asking is how much did you pay for it? If the bodywork is no good and it's looking a bit tatty then you could have paid little enough not to have to worry about an Atlantic's potential value. These vans (any T3/T25) with bad bodywork are always going to cost a lot to put right if done properly. On the other hand, if it's a reasonable example in reasonable condition, I'd say modify only when you fully understand what you are doing. Sounds like your in a hurry to make a decision? If not do some more research. I, personally would learn to like it for what it is, or sell it to buy something that lends itself to your own taste.

If you're on Facebook search for VW (T3) Atlantic owners club and ask the question there. I know what answers you could expect. Probably not the ones you want to hear if you've set your heart on a different colour scheme.

Andy
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

Emma&Al
80-90 Mem No: 14493

Post by Emma&Al »

Another woman here!! Hello!
I feel like I'm the only girl floating around in this 80-90 Universe sometimes.
Id say do what you like with it, because I can completely relate to wanting to splash some colour around a grey interior. Although this can be achieved by using bright materials etc and some lovely postcards/pictures on the cupboards - thats what I did in my old Talbot Express with its beige interior!
You're very lucky, I always wanted an Atlantic!! I had a high top before the Caravelle that I have now.

Have fun and good luck!!
1990 2.1 petrol injected Caravelle

dsa
80-90 Mem No: 3186

Post by dsa »

As others have said you would devalue your van buy painting the units it would be OK if it was an old rotten auto sleeper interior :rofl but not a superior westfalia. I have had a few westy,s in my time and have changed curtains and added some vinyl for colour but always kept the original curtains and removed any stickers before resale. In my opinion the westfalia is the best t25 available and most sought after so best keep as original as possible.
Gordon
1989 Westfalia California 1.6 TD

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

*sniggers*
its just a german devon.....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

Why not just do whatever takes your fancy,it's only a van but it's your van,paint it sky blue pink and sod the purists!
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

Miss Syd
80-90 Mem No: 10257

Post by Miss Syd »

we are just having ours completely stripped out and resprayed. I hadn't got a clue what I had bought when I got an Atlantic and soon realised that to try and change the standard fittings was not the way to go if you want it to retain any value. Yes I know you think you will have it for life, but, in their original condition they are currently increasing in value and you may wish to sell at some point, I also feel the need for some colour in my life, but just stick to things you can change; curtains, seat covers etc. Trust me I have been exactly where you are! We might change some of the "removable" items but the grey has to stay! Luckily it's neutral enough to match with most bright colours.
Home is where you park it!

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

I can see why she wants to brighten it up, numbing is a good word.

Oh wait, somebody wrote investment... If your van is a commodity, there lies the reason for the twitching.

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

As I've said, as long as your armed in the knowledge that if you do do something irreversible to a rare van, it could have costly consequences later, then it's your choice.

I love to see other van conversion, and I often get envious of the flexibility other people have making their own. So, I will be the first to say my van is a blessing, and to a lesser extent a curse because modifications are limited without those consequences. But I will live with that :D
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Post by greasemonkey »

kevtherev wrote:Oh wait, somebody wrote investment... If your van is a commodity, there lies the reason for the twitching.

A dig at my post I presume.

Any classic vehicle is an investment if looked after and is the right model. But that's not the main reason I got it. Primarily I fundametally like them, end of. I think the build quality is extremely good, and the layout suits what I want. The investment aspect is just a bonus.

You wouldn't take an e-type jag and drill holes in it for halfords accessories and expect it to retain value though.

The nice thing with the van is you can still go and actively enjoy it for many years, and then if you sell, at least get your money back. You can still make it your own of course, but basically if you don't like the Westy interior, don't get one, simple choice really.

I don't really get the westy haters. I have no problem with any of the T25 incarnations, but for some reason mention a westy and the 'toast brigade' come out.

I don't know if the OP is genuine or a wind up, but people are simply offering advice which could prevent someone unknowingly wiping a ton of their hard earned cash away. If they still want to paint it pink, that's great and completely their choice, but just saying yeah go ahead without an informed choice could cause a shock in a few years time when they come to sell and suddenly it's only half what they paid.

It's why political threads are now banned, too many trolls.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

deleted