Mystery Eberspacher timer

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Blaizefed
80-90 Mem No: 15141

Mystery Eberspacher timer

Post by Blaizefed »

anyone come across one of these before? Just bought a bus and this is mounted to the dash. Standard controller is in the back and works (though its missing its knob, so if anyone has one for sale......), but this timer is up front and just blinks those 8's all the time. I wonder if anyone knows what it is called as I'll need to try and find some documentation in order to get it working (fingers crossed).

so anyone?

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Mystery Eberspacher timer

Post by lloydy »

haven't seen that particular one before, have you looked to see if you have a engine pre-heater? As i would say its the timer for one of those.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Not listed in any price list or controllers list that I have - not listed on Eberspächers websites under controllers either! It looks like it may be part of one of their Easystart remote controllers but cannot see it under them either. It looks far more modern than most of them. It shouldn't be difficult to suss out the sequence for operation.
What 'standard' controller do you have in the back? It may give a clue (there are around 14 different controllers)
Water heaters usually use a mini modulator or a 7 day timer.
Looked hard but nothing else in my library!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

it is a 4 day timer for D1L. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Standheizung-Ebe ... 2034089846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a manual somewhere.
Only found the D1L manual yet: http://butlertechnik.com/download/9P/Eb ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Found it. http://www.eberspaecher.com/downloadcen ... atisch.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Oldiebut goodie

Well found! I wonder why it doesn't appear anywhere like their list of controllers, or even on their website. Googling the part number shows it is used on all sorts b3l/d3l/d5w and so on. Looking in various manuals it is listed for several heaters but the pics are nothing like the photo. I'll keep going through all the manuals and see if there are any english instructions.
Next question is why has he got two controllers? :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ZsZ

Post by ZsZ »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: Next question is why has he got two controllers? :lol:
I think the other one is a thermostat with a switch. I was thinking about some same setup. Thermostat in the rear for camping, and a timer in front for winter waitings for the mrs., wired parallel.

Btw I have a same controller. If you press the upper left corner, the heater should fire up for 30 mins. I will try to translate the german manual to english.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019

ZsZ

Post by ZsZ »

Here is the german manual manual translated to english:

Users manual
Heater timer

Show current time - Pull lever A*
Set time - Pull lever A while pressing < or >
Switch heater on (independently from timing) - press (upper left button) the timer will show the remaining heating time while indicator E is blinking
Long time heating - Pull lever A while pressing (upper left button)
Switch heater off - press (upper left button), automatic cooling down starts
Timing the start of the heater 3 heating time can be set up

Show heating times (the heater will switch on at the time you have set up)
press (upper right button) for one time: first starting time is ready, B is lighting**
press (upper right button) for two times: second starting time is ready, C is lighting**
press (upper right button) for three times: third starting time is ready, D is lighting**
Exit to neutral: press (upper right button) for four times: clock shows current time*, the heater will not switch on
Setting up heating times***
First memory: press (upper right button), B will light, then set up with < and >
second memory: press (upper right button) againt C will light, then set up with < and >
third memory: press (upper right button), D will light, then set up with < and >
Exit to neutral: press (upper right button) again, the timer show the current time*, the memories will stay set up

* the time is always shown with ingnition
** the timer will switch the heater on 20 seconds after the set up time
*** only with ignition switched on

I was wrong, it is not a 4 day timer :) and it is not written, but every time it switch on for 30 mins.
Last edited by ZsZ on 12 Sep 2015, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltan

Oldiebut goodie

Then go and lie down in a darkened room for an hour to recover!!! :lol:
Why do they make these things so complicated?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Blaizefed

Post by Blaizefed »

Wow, thanks for all the help guys. Ive printed out that translation so I don't lose it. All it does now is blink, key on or off, and those instructions seem to indicate it should be affected by the key so something must be wrong. I'll have to get behind it and see if the wiring looks normal. also it doesn't respond to any button inputs so there is every chance it is stuffed and this is all academic, all the same, at least I now know how it should work.

thanks again for the quick and helpful responses.

Oldiebut goodie

Set the time first then you won't be confused with flashing.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

Yep, mine doesn't work unless the time is set. Nice looking controller.
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

Blaizefed

Post by Blaizefed »

Well, I've got a feeling it's stuffed. Pressing the buttons don't make any difference to anything, so I can't set the time. I've taken it out, and apart, and it all looks ok inside. That is to say no visually burnt up components and all the solder joints look solid. I don't suppose anyone has a wiring diagram for how it should be wired up? I've got a red and a white wire, both wired together to constant 12v. That doesn't seem to me to be correct (as if so why have 2 wires?).

At any rate, I've left the 12v lead unplugged so as to stop the blinking and will come back to it once more pressing jobs are seen to.

ZsZ

Post by ZsZ »

there should be 4 wires of the timer: red and white connected together, brown, yellow (these 3 are in a 3 pin connector, and through the connector they are connected to the heater loom, where the red is positive, yellow is what the switch in the timer is connects to the red, and brown is ground) and a black connected to the ignition positive.
Zoltan

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

I had one in my Swedish Doka, it controlled the Webasto petrol coolant heater.

I hope this helps,

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

I'm very surprised that so few people are familiar with this controller - seen many fitted in customers' vans, and also in coaches in my previous life. I thought they were common, but it seems not!
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran