Simple 1y engine swap

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stevegandy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Simple 1y engine swap

Post by stevegandy »

Hi All im new here - ive just bought my first van, and within 3 hours of ownership managed to kill the engine (I didnt realise the dipstick wasnt reliable- doh). Anyway so another identical 1.9D 1y is on its way, and im looking for instructions on removal and replacement. I am a novice but have some experience, and keen to use this as a learning opportunity!

Any direction would be appreciated

Thanks!

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Re: Simple 1y engine swap

Post by Smcknighty »

Directions wise, it's at the back. Hope that helps..

Good luck!

Err and there are guides to fitting a 1y - prob should read those and don't forget the bearing in the crankshaft.

It's really easy taking an engine out, i used a crane, people use jacks, not sure I'd fancy that without help

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

Removal will be the same as the 1.6 JX.

I reversed the van up onto ramps and placed a wheeled 'dolly' underneath the engine/box. Then used a standard engine hoist to drop the whole lot onto the dolly. A couple of straps and a good heave gets it out from under the van.

It's not easy to describe how to drop an engine and box, other than to say disconnect all the easy stuff (Fuel/throttle/coolant/electrics), douse all the main mounting bolts in WD40 or whatever your favourite flavour is and slacken them off to make sure they will come away. The last thing you want to be left with is an engine hanging in place with 1 bolt. Single-Hex sockets are a must. Suspend everything on the crane and unbolt without crushing yourself.

Make sure you have good quality hexagon keys for the CV bolts as they turn into chocolate very readily. Lift the driveshafts out of the way as they will catch on the cups when lowering the engine and box to the floor.

Best of luck.

Dave.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

stevegandy

Post by stevegandy »

Thanks Dave that's helpful.

If someone could link me to the refitting info it would be super.

Cheers

Steve

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

As a side note, you don't need to take the box out when changing the engine. Just make sure it is supported from above so it doesnt hang down when disconnected from the engine...

It can be fiddly to mate the box back up to the engine this way...

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I must admit that the next time I do an engine swap I will drop the engine and gearbox together. As I work alone it was a pig getting the two to mate easily although the first swap I did they mated as easily as a red light district worker. :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶