Pop top heating

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bikermike87
80-90 Mem No: 7559

Pop top heating

Post by bikermike87 »

Hey, I'm looking for some advice on heating the pop top bed on my westy atlantic.

Downstairs is roasting hot, but it's cold in the pop top.

I'm not not fussed on getting a thermal wrap screen for the pop top, it's just an extra thing to carry and it won't generate heat just contain heat that doesn't exist..

It's a factory eber and downstairs is getting too hot!

Any ideas?
https://www.facebook.com/ChefCampers/
1991 Syncro Westfalia Atlantic 2.1MV

Kent Joker
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Pop top heating

Post by Kent Joker »

I have a thermal wrap for mine and heat rises, you will find it way warmer, not to mention the heat loss is massive without.
:ok
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

The thermal wrap does work, we find it a bit of a pain though and rarely use it. A company called Fanchers does a great internal quilt, one day i may get one
http://fanchers.com/267/Vanagon%20Inter ... hermal.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

Thanks, I didn't realise a wrap would make such a difference. It just seems like another thing to fiddle around with. The quilted option looks ideal, especially in colder, wetter climates.

Does upstairs still take ages to heat up though?

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

The wrap makes a huge difference and fits in the void at the back of the top bed when its folded.....
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

bikermike87 wrote:I'm not not fussed on getting a thermal wrap screen for the pop top, it's just an extra thing to carry and it won't generate heat just contain heat that doesn't exist..
Heat rises, so the heat definitely does exist - it's just that it's continuing to rise, because nothing's stopping it from rising. The factory Eber in our Club Joker hightop gets the whole van - upstairs and downstairs - toasty in next-to-no-time, not that you need it much, even with snow on the ground, because there's not much heat being lost.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

It's always colder/noisier in the pop-top, cooler especially with the bed board pulled forward, the wrap does help but not solve it.
Just the price we pay (or rather my kids pay :twisted: ) ) for having a tent with a plastic roof up there...
On the plus side it's cooler in summer and doesn't make my eyes bleed when I look at it :ok
Quit ad modum panis tosti

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

trucker wrote: On the plus side it's cooler in summer and doesn't make my eyes bleed when I look at it :ok
You're referring to the hot dog/ice cream vans I guess. :mrgreen:

What I do without kids in tow is drop the pop top at night when it's cold. Problem solved. Less space to heat up than an ice cream van then too. :ok

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

AdrianC wrote:
bikermike87 wrote:I'm not not fussed on getting a thermal wrap screen for the pop top, it's just an extra thing to carry and it won't generate heat just contain heat that doesn't exist..
Heat rises, so the heat definitely does exist - it's just that it's continuing to rise, because nothing's stopping it from rising. The factory Eber in our Club Joker hightop gets the whole van - upstairs and downstairs - toasty in next-to-no-time, not that you need it much, even with snow on the ground, because there's not much heat being lost.

I know, I guess I was just sceptical up stairs would easily be warmed up with a thermal wrap. I will buy one and find out. I suppose convection will start occurring at the front of the pop top, circulating air to the read on the pop top bed. Thanks for the reassurance.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Ralf85 wrote: What I do without kids in tow is drop the pop top at night when it's cold. Problem solved. Less space to heat up than an ice cream van then too. :ok

I had a table top made to fill the pop top hole, and with the upstairs bed cushions on top of it it's almost as good as having the top down. It allows me to use the pop top for storage at night. My pop top is a little different from most though - it's a Viking roof with a push out section and a hinged flap above the kitchen area - the table only needed to fill the space left by the push out section.

The table was made to order from proper melamine-faced ply, with rounded corners and a plastic edging strip - not cheap but it makes a good sized camp table when used with one of those tripod legs.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Ralf85 wrote:
trucker wrote: On the plus side it's cooler in summer and doesn't make my eyes bleed when I look at it :ok

Ironic isn't it, my high top would melt ice cream in minutes, and because I can stand up it would melt even quicker.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

kevtherev wrote:
Ralf85 wrote:

Ironic isn't it, my high top would melt ice cream in minutes, and because I can stand up it would melt even quicker.
:P :wink: :D
Quit ad modum panis tosti

Kent Joker
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Kent Joker »

kevtherev wrote:
Ralf85 wrote:

As long as you can get in the height restricted parking Kevin :wink:
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Not that old chestnut!
Never had a problem here and I have never seen a height barrier in Europe (where I buy my gelato)

Let's face it high tops are just more practical, pop tops just look better in your eyes.
Happy freezing tent dwellers! :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Jeavsy
80-90 Mem No: 7318

Post by Jeavsy »

I can vouch for the benefit of the thermal wrap. With a bit of practice it really doesn't take long to fit (couple of minutes). When it is really cold and if you are on hook up, then adding a leccy blanket works a treat. Kids on top of that in sleeping bags and then with a duvet over the top to hold the heat in = super-snug! We've used that combo in snow and had no complaints from the nippers.
1990 Calypso Green Westfalia Atlantic pop top 1.9TD