hmmm plasti dip or not??

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mk2Tony
80-90 Mem No: 13793

Re: hmmm plasti dip or not??

Post by Mk2Tony »

I think rust is just one of those things that, at some point, you will have to deal with regardless of what paint etc is on your van, there's always going to be a stonechip or scratch or condensation on the inside that you cant see sneaking into your seams!
I think as long as you keep on top of it and catch it before it gets too bad you can keep it at bay. I think plasti dip is a fairly cheap option if you don't have to pay for the prep work

Tony
T25 2L Aircooled Devon Moonraker 1981 "General Custard"

Tony, Rox & Pixie

browneyes1311
80-90 Mem No: 2714

Post by browneyes1311 »

I didnt do it as I watched him doa t24. I think a rustoleum hand job would have looked better
1983 air cooled T25 high top.(hopefully someone will tell me what conversion) name Myrtle de turtle

Mk2Tony
80-90 Mem No: 13793

Post by Mk2Tony »

I think that's what I'm going to do with mine, try and get as much prep done over the winter as I can, attack any rust that is hiding behind the units inside and in the seams, then paint in the spring when the weather starts to pick up again.

Tony
T25 2L Aircooled Devon Moonraker 1981 "General Custard"

Tony, Rox & Pixie

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

This is why Rustoleum (whether rollered or sprayed) makes some sense. If you vactan (or rust treatment of choice) then leave it some months and see if areas need greater work, then paint. Its easy to match-in the colour should you have to repaint something, providing you keep a spare tin, and rustoleum itself tends to inhibit rust too. Whatever you do (apart from dip and galvanise I suppose) they will eventually rust again - the T25 design was a veritable rust trap. However, if you keep on top of it you can limit the spread greatly.

My paint (Rustoleum) looked pretty smart for 8 years. It needs another go next year but not until I've done some panel work. It buys you time really and keeps costs down. Motoring is expensive to say the least so I tend to see bodywork in the same way that narrowboat and tractor owners do. You aim to shrug off the weather and just enjoy driving it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

CovKid wrote: My paint (Rustoleum) looked pretty smart for 8 years. It needs another go next year but not until I've done some panel work. It buys you time really and keeps costs down. Motoring is expensive to say the least so I tend to see bodywork in the same way that narrowboat and tractor owners do. You aim to shrug off the weather and just enjoy driving it.
this is what i reckon, I dont care what my van looks like (within reason) at the moment. All i want is for it not to be rusty so it doesnt degrade anymore! :cry:
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Rake it all out, treat it and see if it comes back. If it does, treat it again. Then just paint it. If it reappears at a later date, keep at it, sand and paint so its good again. Its what most of us do. If on the other hand you went down the root of an expensive respray and then blame the sprayer (often unfairly in my view) that the job wasn't good enough because rust is appearing, then you're effectively lumbered and the respray ruined - as well as the sprayers repuptation in tatters. Besides which, such expence is only really worth it on a late model that has no rust at all.

Spend time getting right to the heart of any corrosion (with a grit blaster if you have to) and roller it, the chances of rust reappearing are severley diminished. Pace this out over a year or more and you'll probably nail it. You can treat the rust with whatever floats your boat although most of us use vactan because you can leave it unpainted for a year or more and it helps pinpoint anything you didn't quite get.

I don't have any allegiance to Rustoleum other than its nice to work with and its a job you can pick up when you have a few hours spare rather than the long haul of waiting to get the vehicle back from a sprayer. You do as little or as much as time allows and you won't be off the road. As a single parent, that regime suits me perfectly.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

Great advice, cheers Covkid.
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.