Dellorto help needed!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ccarpenter79
80-90 Mem No: 9245

Dellorto help needed!

Post by ccarpenter79 »

Hi all, I've taken the exciting leap into the world of dells.

I got some reconned 36s on the bay and bought a box of bits from stateside to make it work. Just after Christmas I had some body work done at vdub resto. As they kind of owed me a favour they agreed to swap the carbs over for me at the same time. Now their body work seems pretty good however I think their patience was tested by the dells. The engines currently running pretty roughly, lots of pops and not a lot of power.........and smelling very rich.

I've got it booked into a rolling road and the guy seems to know his stuff but before he gets his hands on it I want to know what it may need to finish it off so I can pre-empt getting any parts and foreseeing any problems.

First off can you see any problem with the placing of the electric fuel pump and fuel filters? The filters and lines are full of air, not sure this is right?

The engine breather is just sat open at the moment, I like the idea of a bug pack or empi breather box but is it easier/possible just to put a small filter on the end. Where do the pipes from the breather box need to go? Back into the manifolds?

I know the spring on the linkage is well buggered but I'm worried the arms on the cross bar are not at the right angles?

Image[/U

[url=http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/ccarpenter79/media/DSC_0188.jpg.html]Image

Basically any input welcome, excuse the state of the engine bay, the clean up and paint is in the long term plans ☺
I know nothing - always assume this!!
Chris - 1981 Aircooled Westy

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Re: Dellorto help needed!

Post by mark »

once it's on the rolling road, they will be able to get to the bottom of any problems, they will re-jet and balance and generally tinker the horses out of it. spring looks a bit ifi and I would fit a breather box. as ever, hard to tell offof a picture

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Those fuel filters should not be there.All thats needed is the one just after the tank.Get rid.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

Hard to see the throttle arm angles but they look a bit on the pi$$.

Get shot of those filters as rob says you only need the one by the tank.

What's the pump off? What pressure is it running?
98 Westfalia James Cook