mTDI update 50,000 miles later!

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HOT 1200
80-90 Mem No: 2233

mTDI update 50,000 miles later!

Post by HOT 1200 »

Hi Folks, not been on here for a long time, thought I would give you an update regarding my mTDI powered T25
(1.9 TDI AHU engine running AAZ pump)
It has just clocked up 50,000 miles since the conversion just over three years ago.....
So far, no failures - 100 percent reliability except for a faulty starter motor and an oil pressure switch at sprung a leak!
MPG remains excellent......with a best figure of 506 miles on a tank but average is 420 miles (the 506 miles was due to a non stop drive from Cornwall to Norfolk at at a steady 65 70mph.

see ya folks.....

GaV
Diesels, Love the noise, Love the smell, love the smoke, love the 40 MPG!

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Re: mTDI update 50,000 miles later!

Post by ringo »

Thanks for the update - its always nice to hear a success story!

I suppose i should read all your old posts, but what else did you do to your AAZ pump to get it to work on the TDI? I've read the power curves are completely messed up or something like that?

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

HOT 1200
80-90 Mem No: 2233

Post by HOT 1200 »

The AAZ pump is standard, however you must remove the AAZ eco turbo boost pin (5 min job) and replace with a real boost pin :D
I used a boost pin from a GOLF GTD, this allows losts more fuel on boost and brings the TDI allive.... just rotate the GTD pin to a posion that gives the most power with the least smoke (to be honest I have never had a black smoke problem)
Other important tips:-
Pump timing is very crucial give the AAZ pump approx 1.2mm timing adv, this gives it a head start to start building up to the working pressures of the TDI injectors. It will also start really easy too, I dont even have the glow plugs wired up, starts first time with no extended cranking even in freezing temps.
You also need to up the overal fueling by adjusting the main fuel volume screw on the back of the pump. Simply shut down all your idle screws to minimum, shut down the residual fuel control screw (used on golfs with air con) (if you dont then when you turn up the main volume screw you will have a high idle speed) Shutting down the idle screws will cause the engine to stall, but read on...Adust the main fuel screw on the back of the pump to bring the idle speed back up until you obtain a smooth idle, this screw is the most important screw when using a stock AAZ pump, use is as your idle adustment, by doing this allows the pump to provide maximum fuel delivery without the risk of diesel run away......
Ive been into Diesel engines for almost 20 years so I had no problems setting it up, the biggest thing is to turn of your ears to all the rubbish and hear say people band around, like it wont work, cant be done, wont last, wont go bla bla bla.........

One thing I will say is I would only use the AAZ pump on the 1Z and AHU type engines (90bhp engines) Dont try using on the 110bhp engines which have larger injectors and most importantly greater spring pressures at the injectors, the AAZ pump wont like that. Also, dont be tempted to make a hybrid pump using an AAZ pump (ie stick TDI cam plate and plungers in the AAZ pump) TDI pumps have a 20mm main shaft for good reason, the AAZ only has a 17mm main shaft which could (note I only say could) break if trying to rotate on a TDI cam plate with big plunger and heavey spring injectors. Keep it simple, it took me half an hour to set up and I have not touched it in over 3 years (50,00 miles)
Did I mention I also run an intercooler.......VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra they tuck under the bus nicely...... :mrgreen:
You will be rewared with a bus that goes as well as an A1 condition 1.6td but with bags of low down grunt, unless the bus is loaded up, I never use first gear, no need! Top speed is around 85mph (im running a 5 speed petrol box) but will cruise all day 65-75mph and happy to reach 90mph+ with the wind behind you or down hill, but thats missing the point, its the 40mpg at motorways speeds that important, thats why people drive diesels, if I wanted out and out speed, I would have fitted the Golf 2ltr petrol injection which uses all the diesel bits to bolt up, a nice clean conversion. (Im not knocking the scooby fans, they are cool too)
GaV
Diesels, Love the noise, Love the smell, love the smoke, love the 40 MPG!

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

:ok

Good man. I've just fitted a brand newish AAZ so i wont be doing it for a while (i hope!).

Currently, i've got a bit of black smoke coming out the exhaust so i probly need to turn in the main fuel screw a bit...

Messing with pumps is new to me (ive had the boost pin in for a year and that was a great improvement) and i've now got to the stage of setting the timing (using my dial test indicator) but not to actually turning screws for fuelling...

I'd rather have economy and longevity than anything else....

Dont think i'll get 40mpg though!

Cheers

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.