Coolant temperature

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Horney
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Horney »

Most likely to be an electrical fault with the gauage. Either a bad earth under the dash or the ribbon conector under the clock/rev counter needs cleaning up. Mine was the same but now doesn't read at all so it's a job I aim to be doing over the next couple of weeks.

Nick

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

OK first off ... What bl**dy engine????????
It does make a diference and the Psycic mechanic is on holiday.

I think if we did a survey "Where does your temp guage sit?" We would get dozens of diferent answers.

VW made a number of diferent sensors over the years ( some for the guage and some for the engine management system) all seem to fit the hole and give diferent readings.

As above check the electrical connections, but test to see if your radiator fan is coming on OK (after about 10 mins idle on a warm day....)

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

when i had this problem with my old van.it was the connector that pushes onto the sender that had furred up.causing a bad connection.i emery'd the offending piece and that sorted it...
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

mush145
80-90 Mem No: 3898

Post by mush145 »

Had the same problem and just replaced the temparature sensors on the thermosat. Pretty easy job. But this is only one area it could be all of the above.

Choose your start pointing :D

FlowerPower
80-90 Mem No: 5539

Post by FlowerPower »

Thermostat stuck open/missing?
Peace and Love and .... ummmm all that.

Diane
80-90 Mem No: 2470

Post by Diane »

Hi
I have had the same problem for months now. My 1.9 H Reg runs Ok but the temp guage reads just above the white on the left - it used to read just to the left of the red light until a few months ago.

The rad fan kicks in when its needed and the heater works fine. I have replaced both the stat and the sender, and it has made no difference. I have followed various posts and done the shorting out thing on the wires - needle goes to the right and light flashes- and cleaned all contacts - no difference.

Is there anything else I should look at?

Cheers
Diane

funbus1
80-90 Mem No: 3080

Post by funbus1 »

Mine sits just to the right of the wee box on gauge, As Tonytec says do the tickover test and if fan kicks in, forget about it.When i fill my top up tank to correct level Bus just spits it all out, but runs perfect with water to a level in header tank which i marked with pen. chek when cold and sits bang on mark.Never understood this. Anyone any ideas on this? Ive replaced metal pipes to rad with plastic ones.