oil pressure light on dash

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gutmeg
80-90 Mem No: 6992

Re: oil pressure light on dash

Post by gutmeg »

Hi Robsey, Many thanks for the reply we have been away in Italy for 10 days so only got back yesterday. I will continue tracing cables etc I believe the fuel guage works ok and the oil pressure cable  I seem to have verified. Oil switch has arrived and I will replace with the one delivered as it seems to point to the switch. Got from Brickwerks so should be a good replacement. There were 2 wires same length 1 going to crossover  pipe area blue/ black, and other going to the oil switch purple/ black. I guess whoever has worked on previously got them wrong way around. Many Thanks for your help on this, I was scratching my head before. I will test oil switch before fitting. Do you know if. any complications on fitting new switch, i.e. will oil come out, and will it only be small amount for me to replace. Thanks again. Lloyd  

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

I will not lie.
It will probably be a bugger to get at.

It is underneath the engine, on the left side, where the push-rod tubes meet the engine block.
In the gap between the middle two tubes

You will need to remove the guard under the left push-rod tubes.

The switch is very low down, so you will lose oil.
You could pre-assemble the crush-washer onto the new sensor ready for scewing in quickly.

Unscrew the old sensor, plug the hole with your finger whilst you fumble round for the new one.
Then screw in the new one.

Connect up the wire.

Check and top up the oil level.
Then check your handy-work by starting and running the engine just long enough to see the oil light go off.

Refit the tube covers, and gloat at a job well done.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

gutmeg

Post by gutmeg »

Hi. Robsey, Many Thanks for the reply, I have found the location of the oil switch previously, and disconnected the wire and tested etc. I will have a go and put something underneath to collect the oil, ( and make sure I have some replacement oil). I have read somewhere else, not sure where to put some PTFE tape on the thread for good fit/ to ensure no oil ,leaks etc. I will let you know how I get on!
Thanks again for the info and guidance much appreciated.  Best wishes to you. Regards Lloyd.

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

My pleasure dear chap.
Glad to help.

As such, if you have an aluminium or preferably a copper crush washer, you should not need ptfe tape.

The copper should be soft enough to compress to fit and seal against the block, and the switch.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

gutmeg

Post by gutmeg »

Update on investigation
High all, just thought I would give you progress report. I Have now sorted out the problem. Got the replacement oil switch, and thought before I try to replace, I would connect an additional temporary earth wire from coil to sump, and hey presto oil light  illuminated. Have added additional permanent proper earth, and all works fine. Many thanks for the info, it also appears the 2 cables, crossover sensor and oil light cables were connected incorrectly (swapped over)l, now all fine. So very happy now. Many thanks for the info, it took me a bit of time but I know the colour coding of the wires from dash now, and have kept in my VW camper book for reference.. Many Thanks and best wishes.
LLoyd.