AAZ oil windage tray

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Magnum
80-90 Mem No: 413

Post by Magnum »

I left the tray off because it would'nt fit round the JX pickup pipe and I wanted to use a JX sump gasket. Remember to fit/align the sump to the gearbox / engine at the same time or you might break the alloy sump.

Paul
member four one three

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Don't use the windage tray. It increases the width of the gasket as it were, then when you try to get the bottom bolts from bellhousing to sump they won't line up.
Leaving the sump loose while fitting the engine, I don't see how that would work as the sump is still that little bit further away from the engine.
If you insist on fitting it then you will have to modify it to fit the pick up pipe, then increase the diameter of the holes in the bellhousing that the mounting bolts pass through.
If you don't then I should imagine that it will crack the sump when itghtening and putting unnecesary stress onto the sump.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum ... p?TID=9812
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Magnum
80-90 Mem No: 413

Post by Magnum »

Chas,
Bentley manual advises using a straight edge when fitting the sump to align the rear engine block face with the sump/bell housing face. The sump will break when you tighten up the gearbox if not aligned.
You also need to fit the JX flywheel not AAZ as per Simons comprehensive notes.
member four one three

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Magnum wrote:Chas,
You also need to fit the JX flywheel not AAZ as per Simons comprehensive notes.

Does it say that?

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpec ... ds/aaz.htm

It says to use any T3 Diesel flywheel and clutch in my comprehensive notes.

Are youe eyes painted on? :lol:
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks