2.0 CU Starting issues.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TheRealExile
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: T25 2.0 CU Fuel Pump

Post by TheRealExile »

tobydog wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 20:19 Pic for reference showing vac pipes:

https://club8090.co.uk/wiki/Petrol_engi ... gnition_01

Thank-you, it's probably my phone but I get a blank page when following the link?
Last edited by TheRealExile on 24 Apr 2024, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

Knowledge is power
1970 CU

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

Thank you, must be my mobile! I get this....

Rosie n' Jim

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

The missing pipe from the top/rear of the air box to the inlet controls a flap that allows warm air to be drawn into the intake. This is to prevent carb-icing in cold weather. Mine are bypassed and haven't caused problems, but VW wouldn't have fitted it if not needed somewhere in the world. Should be plugged if not used or air will be drawn into the idle circuit.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,
TheRealExile wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 14:41

Well at least it all seems to be there... :wink:

So once you have sorted your fuel feed problems, we can get this engine set up. If it ran OK before and is not leaking oil, then these are easy engines to work on..sort of.. :roll:

Do you have workshop access?
Can you do/get done a compression test...bear in mind that the 2nd worst job on the CU is changing the plugs without struggling.. :shock:

I'm still waiting for Winter to break, too cold for the workshop and it will be raining for the week end VW run..

Cordialement,

:ok

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

sarran1955 wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 07:53 Hello,
TheRealExile wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 14:41

Well at least it all seems to be there... :wink:

So once you have sorted your fuel feed problems, we can get this engine set up. If it ran OK before and is not leaking oil, then these are easy engines to work on..sort of.. :roll:

Do you have workshop access?
Can you do/get done a compression test...bear in mind that the 2nd worst job on the CU is changing the plugs without struggling.. :shock:

I'm still waiting for Winter to break, too cold for the workshop and it will be raining for the week end VW run..

Cordialement,

I do have a workshop...well garage however the T25 with high top is too tall 🙄 I'm waiting for the weather to break myself although I'm very tempted to have a go at this fuel pump, a compression test is a very good idea.

New fuel pump has shown up, hope I have the right one, complementary air freshener too 😁

sarran1955

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

That is the pump...

Basically all VW flat 4 fuel pumps are variations of the same theme...

The special mystery feature on this one is the spigot sticking out of the pump body. This needs a bit of fuel pipe to go into the lower tinware. It is there because the pump drive and lubrication is 'sideways on'.

Be careful when recovering the bakelite spacer...if it is cracked it will leak. Probably Allen socket bolts.

Fit a new fuel filter and high quality fuel pipe, you do not need much if the fuel system is original.
Use proper petrol pipe clamps... no Jubilees.. :shock:

Cordialement,

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

Thank you for the advice, I'm going to take a look at what we have now in place, get some pictures for my build file and so I remember what went where!

10 degrees out there, rain to start at 5pm, I better get myself moving!!! Glasses on this time as I got eyes full of crud last time I tried to find it 🤣 the inspection lamp is coming under with me too!

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

Well I found the fuel pump! I can see one bolt but can't see the other? How on earth do I get to it 🤔

Is this the earth strap in question?

Fuel pipes are goosed, what is the best replacement?

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

Another question for those with more experience than I, where is best to put the trolley jack to get it up in the air so I can get a better look at this fuel pump? I have Axle stands too but couldn't see any immediately obvious spot for them either, weather is getting better and I'm determined to have this running!!

Fuel lines, filter, earth strap order going in shortly.

sarran1955

Re: 2.0 CU Starting issues.

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

I am not going to discuss the size of your jack and where to put it.. :oops:

If you remove the roadwheel, the job gets easier.

I would suggest you concentrate on the fuel lines and filter..  the pump is probably ok... get the vehicle running

Then PLEASE get that engine and bay cleaned up. Can you get it steam cleaned (and chassis waxoyled) locally :?:

Or with a compressor, cleaner,a spraypot and a big plastic tray....glasses and gloves..

The aluminium is meant to be shiny...  and the tinware at least wire brushed and blown clean.

Cordialement,

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

I agree on cleaning, it's a right old mess under there. Unless I can get it driving I have no way of getting it somewhere to be steam cleaned, I do have a compressor though which is primarily used for air tools.

I was planning on a good wire brush underneath and treat with bilt hamber possibly followed by the black chassis paint I have left over from my other project.

I'm going to get fuel pipes and filter from here, not sure if anyone has used them but I had a local recommendation.

https://www.alanhschofield.com/

I'm getting no fuel out of the pipe to either carb when I turn the engine over hence I thought fuel pump?

It does turn slowly but is that down to the earth as pictured needing replaced? Would slow turning not have the pump serve enough/any fuel to the carbs?

Thanks for you advice once more.

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

There are three good UK suppliers.

Alan Schofields is one of them. :)

However many members would go to Brickwerks for their fuel hose needs, as they quote Ethanol safe.
Not just "up to 10% ethanol [E10].

Here are the links...

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product-catego ... ed-engine/

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ... n/t25.html

https://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts ... -8091.html

You will be advised to avoid Just Kampers.

I hope that helps.

You would be recommdended to clean or replace that earth braid, and completely clean it's mounting studs.
Dirt and corrosion will make it hard for the current to flow.

Others may recommend replacing the main 12 volt cables as they may be old, dry and tarnished.
This again would make it hard for current to flow.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished