Engine stalling

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Freddievan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine stalling

Post by Freddievan »

Engine needed to be turned 2 or 3 times as the van has been stood for a few days.  Once it started it sounded fine.  However, half a mile down the road the van stalled at traffic lights and would not start again despite several attempts.  Managed to get a push down the hill but wouldn't jump start so parked up at a lay-by.  Left it for a while and tried again but still wouldn't fire.  Called rescue service and waited.  However, I tried once more after 5 or 10 mins and the engine fired up.  engine sounded fine and no problems getting it back home (half-a-mile or so.  (cancelled rescue service)

I'm guessing (in my ineptitude) that the engine flooded but it has never done that before and I've had the van for 10 years.  Any reasons why this may have happened now?
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

aec
80-90 Mem No: 5469

Re: Engine stalling

Post by aec »

Intermittent electrical connection on ignition side? Check all connections and earths around ignition, low voltage and HT side.
Fuel blockage?  Check/change filter if not done recently.

Check vacuum hoses around carb for leaks/splits?
1984 1.9DG wbx Autohomes rigid pop top

Freddievan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Freddievan »

aec wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 09:33 Intermittent electrical connection on ignition side? Check all connections and earths around ignition, low voltage and HT side.
Fuel blockage?  Check/change filter if not done recently.

Check vacuum hoses around carb for leaks/splits?

Yes, there is an intermittent fault when starting.  Has been for a while but I've avoided repairing over the summer as it does always tend to start after a few attempts.  Turn ignition and just a click.  eventually starts.

This seemed different but today the engine turns but will not fire.  Had to recharge the battery as it drained after a few attempts.
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Post by JeffRoo »

Try starting it with some easystart https://www.toolstation.com/bradex-easy ... lsrc=aw.ds. If it starts you know it’s a fuel problem, if it doesn’t then it’s likely electrical. 
re your ‘click’ when starting, check your earth straps, might need cleaning. 
NB easy start is for petrol carb engines. Just take off the air pancake and squirt a bit down the carb
84 Caravelle 1.9DG