Coolant leak issues

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pleasestartnow
80-90 Mem No: 11015

Re: Coolant leak issues

Post by pleasestartnow »

Muttleypup you are a Saint. Cheers for that. Ya I am the same it has always been this way and haven't had any issues really.

I topped up the tank to the same level as the sensor and went for a spin and didn't notice any issues. All thr pipes were warm, I could feel hot air out the vents and there was no cold spots on the radiator so I'm going to assume there is no air pockets and all is good. I have time to take it for a much longer spin tomorrow so will use that as the test.
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

If you cannot vent the tank you will run the risk of overpressurizing and blowing a hose or causing a leak - isn't that what started this thread? The hose from the dalek cap being blocked is what most probably started your leak.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

No Oldie, originally I thought it was a leak in the oil sump but it was pointed out it was coming from further up. The leak was just very very slow drops but still I wanted to fix it as it has been there for years. I found the leak was actually the connection between a coolant pipe onto the flange where the spring clamp was actually just clamped to the rubber pipe rather than clamping the pipe to the flange. Since I fixed those clamps there is no more leak. However, while messing with this pipe I lost coolant when I disconnected it from the flange and the thread was then more about me inquiring if I could have air in my cooling system after disconnecting the pipe and then the process of actually bleeding etc. Then I was just getting confused about the the cooling system in my van not having the top up tank. But like I said I have the van 10 years and never had any issues with overheating etc. The pipe you reference there isn't blocked at all as you can see in the video here.
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

The pipe is blocked! There is no flow.

It is attempting to put the excess coolant into the same circuit as it came from. i.e. it is not flowing through the small pipe as both ends are at the same pressure. That pipe should go into the tank that you don't have where the coolant is at lower pressure than the main system.

The way that you have it there you are just over-pressurizing the system. Very likely that this over-pressurizing was the cause of the clamp and hose coming loose.
Anyway it is your van and you can do what you wish but that does not mean that what you have is correct.
I have said enough on this now as I feel that I am banging my head against a brick wall here.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

I agree with ya 100%, that just because it is setup this way doesn't mean its correct. I actually understand what your saying now though, the small pipe that is connected to the dalek cap and in my instance goes to the flange on the engine is at the same pressure at both ends so there must be no flow there, whereas if it was connected to a second bottle over pressurisation would push the coolant out the cap through that tube to the 2nd bottle.

Sorry if I am wrecking your head I'm just trying to learn as I go though. Like is it as simple as literally get a bottle, connect up the hose to it, plug the flange end where it goes to currently and that's it then?
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Any idea where I can find the inner width dimensions for the coolant pipes so I can go to an agricultural store tomorrow and get some backup pipes before I head on the trip? In particular part 068122053 width. I measured it the other day but can't find the photo, I think it was 32mm pipe. Would that sound right?
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Do you mean the ID (internal diameter) of the hose? I dont think anyone lists those dimensions. The easiest way is to measure the long pipes with calipers and take off 1mm so the hoses will grip the pipe properly.
Early cooling system has smaller diameter front to rear pipes than the later, changeover around 1983-4 iirc

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Cheers Silver, will do it tomorrow. Appreciate it
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

I have ordered 2 pipes off Brickwerks, one was 32mm the other 38mm.
My mistake not suppliers, turns out I didn't need either of them.
viewtopic.php?t=178745
Iirc they do state in the small print the size of ID.
Bought a meter of pipe from amazon to try and fix my problem.
Good luck
Peter
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop