Feeling overwhelmed with electrics in my Hi-Top.

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

willayerst
80-90 Mem No: 0

Feeling overwhelmed with electrics in my Hi-Top.

Post by willayerst »

Hi all,

I've had a T25 for about three years now. I've used it for summer camping and enjoyed it greatly, but now I've got a baby and I'm looking into fitting some three-point restraints in the back, it's starting to dawn on me just how overwhelmed I am about the vehicle. I know almost nothing about it, or how any of it goes together. You'll find this shameful I'm sure, but I've just stuck my head in the sand for anything I don't use all the time! 

It has what looks like a home-brewed PMS with lots of unmarked toggles. It has both a leisure battery and a 240v hookup, the latter of which was demonstrated when I bought it - but I can't remember what toggles did what. The only thing I can say authoritatively is that there are two set of LED lights which you can turn on - presumably using the main battery? At some point he also demonstrated the water tank pump, but I don't know how it works.

It has a three-way electrolux fridge, which I was told worked - but I've never tried/don't know how to work it. There is a propex heater, but I've only managed to get it to work once.

We've never needed to use the heater beyond a trip to the midlands in November, we don't use the sink and have never used the fridge - and it's been fine, but I feel like I'm missing out by not even really understanding how it goes together.

What are my first steps to understanding this? Is it just better to get a firm to install a proper PMS and do all this work for me?

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Re: Feeling overwhelmed with electrics in my Hi-Top.

Post by Smiffo »

First and foremost, you're going to need to get some pictures up of the specific areas of concern.
One of the unit, one of the control panel, and hopefully some model numbers.

The fridge sounds like the ones installed in Holdsworth's ( I had one originally. )
So the three positions will be used to switch between 240v, Propane, and then 12V DC but only when the van is driving / running.

You're also going to want to know what works on the leisure battery. So get comfortable with the gizmos first, then disconnect the van battery and see what doesn't work anymore?

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi, As Smiffo says plus let us know where you are. You may have someone nearby who can help.
It is really a question of looking/searching/trying to find out what goes where etc. If it has been 'worked on' by previous owner, then who knows what controls what.
I have had my wagon for about 25yrs and sometimes come across a modification that I cannot remember why I did it. It was a good idea at the time and providing it worked and was safe I went ahead.
If you have a T3/25 then it will involve your time; a lot of it, or someone else's ie garage etc. and that will cost.
They are great fun but are approx. 30/40 yrs old so require 'effort' to keep them going but you can get a lot of help from 80/90 members.
Best of luck.
PS. Have no idea why this has got a line through it.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

There was an s in brackets at the start and end of the text with lines. I have removed them and et viola.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

It's an option top left....

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Never too old to learn. 
Thank you
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

PMS? I'm guessing Power Management System?

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran