Tailgate latch issue

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wesley
80-90 Mem No: 0

Tailgate latch issue

Post by Wesley »

Hi all,

Really hope someone can point me in the right direction please - I’ve spent hours on this today and got absolutely nowhere !

For some reason last week my boot would not open. It’s locks and unlocks but would not pop open most times.

Took a look on here and so far have figures out that the actuator is not the issue, also the rod arm slides all the way along both ways when locking and unlocking so that’s not the issue.

For some reason when unlocked the push in button does not line up correctly with the latch (with spring attached). It just slightly misses, hence why when I push the button it won’t open.

Nothing is loose though so I’m not perplexed. I’ve taken a video showing the issue in motion but not sure I can post on here.

Any help greatly appreciated - we have our annual big trip in 2 weeks and really need the boot to work.

Thanks all :)
Wesley

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Tailgate latch issue

Post by davidoft1 »

Have you got central locking ?

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Hi David,

Yes , I have central locking.

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Wesley wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 19:13 Hi David,

Yes , I have central locking.

You have the key /lock part in the wrong position most likely, I’ll check
Which way mine is

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

That would be great thanks :)

I hope that fixes it as sounds a simple fix. The key/lock place is in the same position it’s always been though - horizontal.

It is all very strange , not sure why I’m surprised every time - whenever I think I’m finished on the van some issue always pops out of nowhere :(

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

if key is horizontal then probably the central locking part is stuck, but iirc there are 3 positions on a central locking tailgate lock rather than the 2 on a manual but I haven't got the owners manual to hand to check

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Hi Aidan,

Messing around with it this morning if I turn the key to vertical the barrel passes through the horseshoe shape lever (as it should).
Key also turns to 2 0clock position and this moves the horseshoe shape lever (as it does when horizontal).

The issue seems to my untrained eye to be none of these areas. It appears that when the horseshoe lever is being pushed it does not connect with the gold coloured latch (with spring attached) that actually opens the boot.

It’s almost like some of it has worn away or something meaning it doesn’t line up anymore.

Does what I’m writing make any sense ? I have a video of it in action I can email you.

Ps thanks for putting me in touch with Neil re gearbox - van drives much better now :)

Best
Wesley

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Put it in this position then lock and unlock the central locking and try to push the button to see if it releases

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

If David's advice doesn't yield up a positive outcome then post up a video. I don't have central locking, in fact I have the Westy variant latch with the manual from inside option so can't even check how the normal latch looks except on google
So when the lock is horizontal the lock will push the horseshoe which it turn pushes the striker plate ? 

on this used one you can see where the lock has been pushing the striker plate

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Aidan wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 12:27 If David's advice doesn't yield up a positive outcome then post up a video. I don't have central locking, in fact I have the Westy variant latch with the manual from inside option so can't even check how the normal latch looks except on google
So when the lock is horizontal the lock will push the horseshoe which it turn pushes the striker plate ? 

on this used one you can see where the lock has been pushing the striker plate

I had a problem opening mine , pulled it all apart to find that the lock needs to be in a certain position as does the locking, I thought mine was broken, but it wasn’t :)

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Thanks both for all the advice :)

Strangely my push plate is more curved than the picture posted.

I am not the best with technology and can’t see how to post a video on here - or I can email if you send me email address ?

Thanks again
Wesley

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

Wesley
did you get my email replies to yours ?