Door won't open.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

KRIS
80-90 Mem No: 17117

Door won't open.

Post by KRIS »

Hi. Got a strange one here. Bought a van which needs work. It needs a drivers door, no problem I have bought one. However: I can't get the bloody door off! The door just wont open. I have taken the casing panel off and tried all sorts of ways to open the door. Any idea why it won't open? What I could try? I realise this is a difficult ask. I am considering cutting the outer skin off the door to get to the lock mechanism! Thanks in advance.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Door won't open.

Post by davidoft1 »

Have you got the door handle off?

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

I don't think you can get the door handle off unless you can get to the retaining screw on the edge of the door.

What have you tried so far from the inside of the door with the panel off? Presumably you've had the door open before?
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I think you have answered one question in your post when you say it needs a new door: Were you to manage by some random unrepeatable manipulation, to open the original door how could you be sure the "new" door wouldn't also become jammed. So to me getting out the jigsaw,tin snips or cold chisel so as to be able to peer at the door locking mechanism to see what is going on doesn't seem to be a bad idea to me.

Assuming the reference to the "bloody door" was slightly light hearted best do it properly
: https://www.shutterstock.com/search/dynamite+stick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :wink:
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX