Tips for re-fitting driveshafts

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

smurfbus
80-90 Mem No: 13974

Tips for re-fitting driveshafts

Post by smurfbus »

Hi,

As part of MOT prep I have needed to remove my nearside driveshaft and replace the CV boots. I'm finding it quite challenging to re-mount outer driveshaft! It's all greased up with new bolts and washers, but I'm finding the combination of marrying it up and driving the bolts home very challenging, seems like I need three hands to keep everything in place and be able to tighten the bolts.

Any tips greatly appreciated. The van is sitting on axle stands and the wheel assembly is probably about 20cm lower than the gearbox.

Cheers
1985 1.9DG (78ps) with a hightop

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: Tips for re-fitting driveshafts

Post by ZsZ »

smurfbus wrote:Hi,

As part of MOT prep I have needed to remove my nearside driveshaft and replace the CV boots. I'm finding it quite challenging to re-mount outer driveshaft! It's all greased up with new bolts and washers, but I'm finding the combination of marrying it up and driving the bolts home very challenging, seems like I need three hands to keep everything in place and be able to tighten the bolts.

Any tips greatly appreciated. The van is sitting on axle stands and the wheel assembly is probably about 20cm lower than the gearbox.

Cheers

use a long screwdriver or M8 threaded rod to locate one of the holes. That thelps with aligning the others with one hand. Use a long hex or triple square driver bit (depends on the actual bolt). A bit of paper or rag on the tip of the driver can help to keep the bolt from dropping down and you can insert the bolts with the driver.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

As above but use two screwdrivers in adjacent holes then you can adjust the position easily with one hand on both drivers. Plasticene/modelling clay is handy for keeping bolts in position on a bit whilst you get it started.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Put a jack or blocks under the swing arm so as to reduce the drive shaft angle?
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

This might help....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meTNBph3rUU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun,

Cordialement

:ok

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

RogerT wrote:Put a jack or blocks under the swing arm so as to reduce the drive shaft angle?

This^^^^ never had a problem myself but I usually jack from the swing arm.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

smurfbus

Post by smurfbus »

ZsZ wrote:
smurfbus wrote:Hi,

Cheers

use a long screwdriver or M8 threaded rod to locate one of the holes. That thelps with aligning the others with one hand. Use a long hex or triple square driver bit (depends on the actual bolt). A bit of paper or rag on the tip of the driver can help to keep the bolt from dropping down and you can insert the bolts with the driver.

Thanks very much for this - makes a lot of sense.

smurfbus

Post by smurfbus »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:As above but use two screwdrivers in adjacent holes then you can adjust the position easily with one hand on both drivers. Plasticene/modelling clay is handy for keeping bolts in position on a bit whilst you get it started.

Plasticene is a really good shout thanks.

smurfbus

Post by smurfbus »

Thanks all for your replies, extremely helpful.

A job for the week ahead, so I'll let you know how I get on. Then I should be MOT ready for the week after, if there is anyone around to do it for me.....