dead Van?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Freddievan
80-90 Mem No: 0

dead Van?

Post by Freddievan »

Hi all

I started the van yesterday morning and left it 5 minutes to warm up. When I walked back outside to the van after 5 mins the engine just stopped flat before I reached the van. When I tried to restart, the battery was flat. Alternator?
Last edited by Freddievan on 22 Jan 2020, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: dead battery

Post by Mocki »

bigger problem than a alternator if it started ok , but was toatally flat after 5 mins of running \|??
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Hmm,

You can't just say "dead battery". How do you know. Did you measure the voltage with a meter?

More like

The engine won't turn over
There's a click and the engine won't turn over
The lights on the dash go dim when I try to start it
There are no lights on the dash

Does your van normally stall when left ticking over to warm up ? If not, then after doing a battery voltage check I would try turning the engine over with a spanner. This is the worst case scenario.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Post by Dobble »

It could be that the battery was on it's way out and there was enough charge that the van started but as it cut out the alternator didn't have enough time to replenish the power used. I'd get the battery tested (drop test) and also try and find out why the van cut out.
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

Or you have an intermittent charging problem, I'd check the earth connectionso if you haven't already done so.
1983 DG Kamper 2

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

I've got a really bad feeling about this. I can't really check anything until tomorrow evening.

Could it possibly be the engine has seized?
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Worst case, unlikely, but possible.

Simple stuff first, measure the battery voltage. Rule out the worst by turning the engine over by hand. If you don't have tools for that take the spark plugs out and try the starter again

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

Not slept a wink. Things like this are always more difficult for me because my technical abilities extend to oil water and petrol (and I've got that wrong before). The van just stopped dead from a smooth run. The lights were on and heater blowing full but it still doesn't make sense that it's anything to do with the battery or alternator (that was just wishful thinking on my part).

I'll probably need someone to check the voltage as I'm not even sure how to do this properly :cry:
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: dead Van?

Post by Mocki »

so if you make sure it is out of gear does it spin over when you turn the key ???

not battery , for the battery to be flat enough to stop the engine, no lights wouod be on , let lone heater fan blowing .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

Mocki wrote:so if you make sure it is out of gear does it spin over when you turn the key ???

not battery , for the battery to be flat enough to stop the engine, no lights wouod be on , let lone heater fan blowing .

No it doesn't, which is why I initially thought the battery was flat.
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Freddievan wrote:Not slept a wink.

Sorry about that

Freddievan wrote:The van just stopped dead from a smooth run.

That's quite different to what you said in your first post. We use all the snippets of information provided to try and help the remote diagnosis so if the story changes it causes confusion.

With the latest snippet I would suggest you check the oil level

Is there any clicking or dimming of the warning lights when you try and start the van - most likely is starter solenoid / ignition switch

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

937carrera wrote:
Freddievan wrote:The van just stopped dead from a smooth run.

That's quite different to what you said in your first post. We use all the snippets of information provided to try and help the remote diagnosis so if the story changes it causes confusion.

With the latest snippet I would suggest you check the oil level

Is there any clicking or dimming of the warning lights when you try and start the van - most likely is starter solenoid / ignition switch

Sorry. Help me to help you to help me. Which bit has changed? To be as clear as I can (in my current state)... I started the engine Monday morning. The van has been stood a while so it needed a couple of attempts for engine to turn over and start. I left it running for maybe a little more than 5 minutes and it sounded really smooth. As I approached the van when I returned, the engine stopped dead. I tried the engine a couple of times but it seemed/sounded like the battery didn't have enough charge to restart the van or to turn the engine. I didn't really notice if the lights were dimming because I was in a bit of a panic.

I'll check the oil level when I get home this evening. I'll also try to get a battery voltage check done. Thanks
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

This sounds like the problem we had a few months ago. I left the van warming up on the drive and when I got back it just cut out. It started again but kept stalling. We tired everything from the dizzy to the Sparks and it turned out it was the ecu unit. I replaced it and it works absolutely fine now.
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

sarahandthebear wrote:This sounds like the problem we had a few months ago. I left the van warming up on the drive and when I got back it just cut out. It started again but kept stalling. We tired everything from the dizzy to the Sparks and it turned out it was the ecu unit. I replaced it and it works absolutely fine now.

I can hope. Thanks.
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

It's a DG so no ECU. Start with buying a multimeter, you will know in seconds whether the battery is flat and it's voltage and the voltage at the alternator. I had a seized engine but is sounded terrible before it seized so I think it's very unlikely. Perhaps stick up a post on general chat to see if someone experienced near you could pop over. With one of these vans you have to get your hands dirty
Honorary "Dave"