ABS Ring on Front Hubs 1989 DJ 2.1 Auto

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

ABS Ring on Front Hubs 1989 DJ 2.1 Auto

Post by maxstu »

Is this a knock on item or part of the hub? I was led believe ring separated from hub with applied heat.
I did a front wheel bearing last friday and noted the disc is getting close to wear limit. But the ABS ring looked very much part of the hub and not a separate item.
Any ideas where to buy new disc rotors incorporating the ABS ring if one part?
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: ABS Ring on Front Hubs 1989 DJ 2.1 Auto

Post by Aidan »

ABS ring is fitted to the disc, part number is 251 614 150, looks like they are obsolete so you need to pull them off the disc and fit to new ones
Syncro one is fitted to the hub (separate hub and disc on Syncro) and is suffix A, but on 2wd the disc is the hub
rost-off, patience, good puller and heat probably required

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Thanks Aidan. Good info :ok

Using that reference number lets me find an exploded diagram showing separate item as you rightly say.

But leads to another question. I didnt mention van has PAS too. Do l have to source specific disc and knuckle (if needed) to accommodate ABS/PAS? There are so many reference numbers covering different set ups. Even one with tachograph.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/ca ... d/0/lang/e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MaxStu

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

PS 2wd vans are fitted with specific uprights (because the one PS rack was designed for the 14" Syncro and subtle differences in geometry meant subtle differences in track rod end mounting positions) and yes that is different again because of ABS so you need to keep your uprights in good condition, so make sure when changing bearings that the job is done well, use a new locking nut, and if the inner surface that the seal interacts with is damaged 251 407 631 what they describe as spacer ring then replace so the seal is effective.
The joys of having a van with all the bells and whistles on, most UK vans were poverty spec and many of the high spec ones that have been broken over the years were done in ignorance of the subtle differences so few breakers realised they were different and didn't save or mark the rare stuff so finding it used is pretty difficult.
At the end of the day the ABS system could be removed if it fails and the van put to lower spec, same with power steering if it meant the difference between keeping the van on the road or not

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Wow! Thanks Aidan. That's exactly the information l require.
This is my third camper and was drawn to it cos of the auto box is working beautifully. Its been well looked after with regular oil changes in its history records. 170K yet no idea if original box...service history goes back 88k only. Together with factory PAS, which has a much more solid feel than aftermarket electric PAS (have tested one...still an excellent upgrade though) and ABS it does drive beautifully.
Yet now l have owned one with these factory options l would consider dumping the ABS. I have never tested the system in an emergency braking scenario. It does go through reset procedure and light goes out on dash on starting. However the ABS pump under pass seat RHD vehicle mean leisure battery sits behind NS rear light. A right pain in the arris to remove or work on and limits size too.
Thanks again.
Stuart
MaxStu