2.1 DJ: Intermittent starting fault

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

conor2469
80-90 Mem No: 14305

2.1 DJ: Intermittent starting fault

Post by conor2469 »

This problem has recently crept into my van, it has been working perfectly for some time.

1988 DJ Syncro on the original injection.
A while back, I stopped the van after a drive only to come back and find that it would not start. It would turn over but it would not fire. The plugs were dry, it was not getting petrol. We towed the van home.

The next morning I went out and turned the key, the fuel pump primed, I cranked it and the van fired up immediately. I left it running for a minute then switched it off. I tried to start it again and this time the problem returned, would not start. Fuel pump doesn't prime and the injectors are not opening during cranking.

I put 12v to the fuel pump and it primes, I also tested the fuel pump relay and it works.

I left the van for a week, and this morning it started first turn of the key. It also started the second time, seems to be intermittent.

The fuel pump works, so does the pump relay.
The earths are all good, I cleaned them and tightened them.
There is an LPG setup on the van, I thought perhaps this was acting up and disconnecting the pump and injectors, however I bypassed the LPG controller and the problem still occurred.

Does this sound like something anyone on here may have experienced? Coil? Distributor or hall sender?
I had a look at the hall sender plug on the body of the distributor, and it is quite loose, you can waggle it. Not sure where else to go with this.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: 2.1 DJ: Intermittent starting fault

Post by ajsimmo »

Does the LPG system work? Only I noticed you said you towed the van home. Depending on the system, you might have been able to force start it on gas. That would be a very useful diagnostic step, as it would test the ignition system separately, and allow a bit more logical deduction.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

conor2469

Post by conor2469 »

ajsimmo wrote:Does the LPG system work? Only I noticed you said you towed the van home. Depending on the system, you might have been able to force start it on gas. That would be a very useful diagnostic step, as it would test the ignition system separately, and allow a bit more logical deduction.

Hi,

Yes the system does work, but its out of gas! Also, the van cannot be started on gas, can only be switched to gas when the van is running

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Ok, it's just that most people don't know of this feature. If you have a single point system with an aeb changeover switch (or similar), or a millennium/pegaso system then you can easily force a start on gas.
If it's had multipoint put on, it probably won't run on gas until warmed up.

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

sydny-punka
80-90 Mem No: 15153

Post by sydny-punka »

Have you checked all earths ?

Had 2 years of similar experience and it was a rusty earth on ECU , in front of rear light cluster

conor2469

Post by conor2469 »

sydny-punka wrote:Have you checked all earths ?

Had 2 years of similar experience and it was a rusty earth on ECU , in front of rear light cluster

Perhaps I missed this earth location, is it the same on syncro and 2wd? Is it in front of the drivers side rear light or passenger side?