Accelerator pedal- return?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Accelerator pedal- return?

Post by slowcoach »

Hi,
So I have a minor problem in that sometimes the pedal doesn't quite return to the up most state, meaning revs can hang a bit high when I take my foot off.

I've looked into the pedal linkage underneath and oiled / cleaned it best I can through the indicator hole.

What makes the pedal return to top? Is the linkage sprung? Looking at parts diagrams it doesn't look like it. I'd have thought that each end of the cable would need to push/pull via springs. Engine end is obviously on a spring at the throttle body..Image
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Accelerator pedal- return?

Post by Aidan »

sprung at the engine end by the carb or the return spring on a 2.1 if it's neither of these then chances are it's the cable stocking in the clear tube due to water and dirt ingress as the front boot is likely to be split, or the cable conduit above the gearbox may be rusty, probably worth planning on a new cable and tube, they don't last for ever

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Thanks Aidan. It's the rjes cable I'm using.
So is the cable actually just pushed back toward the front of the van by the throttle body spring, and so lifts the pedal?
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

slowcoach wrote:Thanks Aidan. It's the rjes cable I'm using.
So is the cable actually just pushed back toward the front of the van by the throttle body spring, and so lifts the pedal?

yes and the Subaru throttle body has a very strong spring set up, maybe the pedal wasn't fully up when you set up the cable ?

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

On a diesel work van once we had intermittent sticking pedal that was hard to diagnose.
The culprit was a not factory diesel pump with straight lever which stuck into the foam of the plastic engine lid when something heavy was put on the lid and bent it a few milimetres.

Im not familiar with the subaru throttle housing position on a conversion but worth checking the clearance.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th