Oil pressure problem...help please

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Tomc1958
80-90 Mem No: 16877

Oil pressure problem...help please

Post by Tomc1958 »

Hi, apologies for the long post....hopefully someone can help? I'm getting desperate. Oil pressure drops to zero at about 2-2 1/2 miles from being driven from cold. Warning light comes on so I had a gauge fitted, now light comes on and gauge needle drops to zero. After 10-15 seconds pressure comes back up but I'm panicking in case it doesn't. 1983 2.00l CU. This started before a complete engine strip down and rebuild. Pistons and bores replaced, camshaft, lifters, all seals, bearings, oil pump all replaced, drives much better but still at 2 1/2 miles the same problem with oil pressure. Yesterday pressure relief valve(?) and spring replaced....just next to the oil filter. Driven it again from cold this morning and 2 1/2 miles out the pressure dropped again. Can anyone give me the heads up as to what the problem is? Must be something temperature related because it's happening at the same distance? Last week I stopped somewhere for half an hour, got back in and drove and it happened more quickly....obviously the engine hadn't completely cooled down. Really concerned about doing damage to an expensive engine rebuild but the mech and others are mystified. Huge thanks in advance, this really is causing me problems. Different oils have been tried as well.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: Oil pressure problem...help please

Post by mrhutch »

have you got the right oil filter fitted?
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

It might be worth checking which gasket has been fitted under the oil pump cover. It's supposed to be very thin (like 4 thou), but the ones in the gasket kits were 15 thou last time I bought them, resulting in huge end clearance on the oil pump. You say it was like it before the rebuild, but it is quite possible it had the same type of gasket then.

It does seem unlikely, but worth checking the simple things first.

Sorry to bang on about this gasket thing again. It would be so easy for the suppliers to get right. They might even have got it right since last time I bought WBX gaskets.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Tomc1958

Post by Tomc1958 »

colinthefox wrote:It might be worth checking which gasket has been fitted under the oil pump cover. It's supposed to be very thin (like 4 thou), but the ones in the gasket kits were 15 thou last time I bought them, resulting in huge end clearance on the oil pump. You say it was like it before the rebuild, but it is quite possible it had the same type of gasket then.

It does seem unlikely, but worth checking the simple things first.

Sorry to bang on about this gasket thing again. It would be so easy for the suppliers to get right. They might even have got it right since last time I bought WBX gaskets.

Thanks Colin but I don't think it's this because for sometime prior to the rebuild it was running without problem and the pressure only started to drop shortly before I had the work done. I'm sure it's something to do with operating temperature but I'm mystified as to what.....but whatever it is hasn't been solved by the engine rebuild :(

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

I will presume you are relying on whatever gauge system you are using to tell you this. Are you certain the gauge setup is telling the truth??
Have You tried with a different device that doesn’t relay on any of your current components? ie a purely mechanical test kit??

Where are you located??

Swebby
80-90 Mem No: 16589

Post by Swebby »

Just going to link in the FB discussion on this as it may help
https://m.facebook.com/groups/673679577 ... ction_list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
1987 1.9 DG pop-top

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

You need to start getting some real measuring points. Arrange for oil pressure and temperature readings to be taken in a more controlled manner.

Have a read of this thread http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=165346 and adopt a similar approach to get some data points.

Oil pressure drops as engine temperature increases.

The type 4 oil pump is not the same as the WBX pump, so the oft discussed gasket / oil seal issue is not relevant, though of course clearances and leaks are still important.

You should tell us what oil you are using too, including grade.

Cheap test is to change the filter, as they can go faulty, rarely

What does the engine builder say - I assume there is a warranty, or was this DIY ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

This is interesting.... :)

I would suggest electrical rather than mechanical... :shock:

As has been said above, buy a 1/2 decent oil pressure testing gauge, ie liquid filled , with a flexy pipe and the adapter for the oil pressure switch.

Like that you get a proper reading.. :wink:

Shown here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0rYAwK5vCc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would suggest electrical, as I suppose you have the original Hall effect ignition setup, so shonky earth tags. Check for earth continuity from the pressure switch
to the dash.

Hope this helps,

Air-Cooled Bliss... 8)

:ok

Tomc1958

Post by Tomc1958 »

toomanytoys wrote:I will presume you are relying on whatever gauge system you are using to tell you this. Are you certain the gauge setup is telling the truth??
Have You tried with a different device that doesn’t relay on any of your current components? ie a purely mechanical test kit??

Where are you located??

Hi and thank you. I'm no mechanic so reliant on other people. Initially it was just the warning light coming on with increasing frequency I then had a gauge fitted because someone said it could be a dodgy light. Now when the light comes on the gauge also drops. When the light goes out and the gauge comes back up. I will speak with the mechanic though and ask. The odd thing though is that it happens exactly the same distance from home approx 2 1/2 miles which suggests to me its related to oil temperature and not dodgy fittings. If it were a dodgy gauge or something surely it would be more random?

I'm in West Suffolk

Tomc1958

Post by Tomc1958 »

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'll pass on to the guy who rebuilt the engine. I've known him for several years as he sees to my car. The big point which mystifies me is that it is happening at the same distance from home, after the engine has warmed up. Would this still be the case if the fault was electrical, surely that would be more random? Last week I'd parked somewhere for about an hour so the engine hadn't cooled completely and when I got in to drive home it happened sooner.... I'm guessing when it reached normal running temp.

Can anyone tell me whether the engine has 2 oil pressure relief pistons/valves? One next to the oil filter has been replaced but if there is another I'd like to get that replaced as well.

Now going to start the engine and run on fast idle to see how long it takes before the light comes on and the pressure gauge drops.

Thank you everyone

Tomc1958

Post by Tomc1958 »

Swebby wrote:Just going to link in the FB discussion on this as it may help
https://m.facebook.com/groups/673679577 ... ction_list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Thank you!! :) :)

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Tomc1958 wrote: Now going to start the engine and run on fast idle to see how long it takes before the light comes on and the pressure gauge drops.

Only one pressure relief valve.

Take notes of the pressure from the gauge every 2 minutes or so and post them up here, just let it idle as normal

Do you know where the gauge is connected on the engine ?

Tomc1958

Post by Tomc1958 »

937carrera wrote:
Tomc1958 wrote: Now going to start the engine and run on fast idle to see how long it takes before the light comes on and the pressure gauge drops.

Only one pressure relief valve.

Take notes of the pressure from the gauge every 2 minutes or so and post them up here, just let it idle as normal

Do you know where the gauge is connected on the engine ?

Thank you, only just seen this message. I'll do as above over the weekend and post oil pressures. Today I ran the engine semi fast idle for 15 minutes to get up to temperature, all fine, took it for a 25 mile drive and no problems with the engine running at 1-1.5 Bar. I'm wondering whether letting it warm up completely has prevented the problem happening?

Yes, I know where the oil gauge is connected on the engine...should I take photo and post it??

Thanks everyone. Great to know people are willing to help

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Tomc1958 wrote: Yes, I know where the oil gauge is connected on the engine...should I take photo and post it??

Yep, describe it or post a picture

Of course, being an air cooled it is more difficult to know the engine temperature unless you have a way of measuring the oil temperature

1 - 1.5 bar seems a little low, if accurate

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Tomc1958 wrote: I'll do as above over the weekend and post oil pressures.

<snip>

Yes, I know where the oil gauge is connected on the engine...should I take photo and post it??

Any news or a photo ?