T25 Engine Opportunity

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SimonD
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 Engine Opportunity

Post by SimonD »

Hi All,

I have popped small post on this site looking for help in the past but still having lots of problems. Its probably best if I just give a brief overview of my problems.

Six months ago I purchased a solid 1.9 petrol twin slider, 4 speed F reg T25. It ran ok but would stall really badly at junctions. After a battery change and dizzy cap (I think) change it was better. Then the gearbox trouble began. Firstly it wouldn't go into gear. Then it was noticed she was leaking a lot of fluid. Seals and clutch kits were purchased. The registration plate was used for identifying which clutch to get. The clutch was fitted, but then it started making some terrible noises. It also would not select a gear. My mechanic with my help (I know nothing but can operate a kettle and hold spanners) had the gearbox out three times, but every time couldn't get it to operate smoothly. Eventually we ended up putting the old clutch back in and were pretty much back to square one. She ran for a couple of days then she gave up, the clutch pedal now has no pressure in it and she wont go into any gear.

There are a million questions going round my head.

Did I have the right clutch kit?
Did my mechanic know what he was doing?
Should I give up and sell her?
Should I repair her and sell her?
As someone who doesn't have any mechanical knowledge is owning this vehicle and having it as a daily driver a good idea?

There are so many options out there. I have read so many articles on engine and box changes. Some I have understood. Some I will never understand.

All I really wanted was a reliable vehicle that I could sleep in, carry my dog and mountain bike, may be make a brew and have enough room to get changed in. Perhaps a Mazda Bongo would have been a better choice. I have never been good at driving boring vehicles though.

I work as a project worker at a hostel young people can stay in for up to two years to help them get their life back on track. When I first turned up in my bus all the kids loved it and it was well received. It became a talking point. I did end up with the odd screw in my tyre. On the whole though it helped me do my job as I could take residents out in it and its a fun bus.

At the moment though it is anything but fun. Plus Im by no means a millionaire. The amount of money I can throw at it to get it back on the road is limited. I have about 2k available. Which I know is not enough for a engine and box change. My plan is to purchase a car and run around with the suitable engine and box. Then save enough up for the transfer, take the two vehicles to a reputable mechanic and make one good bus out of the two.

Which moves on to the question what engine and box would be suitable. Diesels as we know are economical but hated by the government. I am still swaying towards diesel for economy regardless of the tax implications. As I stated earlier I have read lots of articles about inline and reverse engines. I don't understand a lot it if I'm honest. 1.6 seems to be a popular conversion. I am concerned that if I manage to kit the bus out properly and put a pop top on it a 1.6 may struggle. Therefore I seem to be looking at a lot of 1.9TDI.

I have spent hours on ebay looking at VW Bora's, Passats, Audi A3's and Golfs. All seem to be within my budget with an acceptable amount of miles on the clock. The problem here is Im not sure which year I need to look at for any of the models listed above.

Igf anyone could give me any advice it would be fantastic. Im sorry if this post relates to others on the forum. I have tried searching but couldnt find anything quite that fitted my search criteria.

Many Thanks

Simon

clone123
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: T25 Engine Opportunity

Post by clone123 »

Simon it may be a good idea to fill you profile in properly with your location just incase somebody lives round the corner and is willing to pop round and have a look and I think it maybe a good idea to put a picture of your engine on here in case it has been changed already which alot of them have been.
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

SimonD wrote: 1.Did I have the right clutch kit?
2.Did my mechanic know what he was doing?
3.Should I give up and sell her?
4.Should I repair her and sell her?
5.As someone who doesn't have any mechanical knowledge is owning this vehicle and having it as a daily driver a good idea?

These answers are just my opinion. Other opinions are available:
1. Who knows. Not enough information to confirm.
2. Doesn't sound like it. If he did it'd either be fixed, or he'd have explained why it isn't.
3. No. Never sell a broken van. It's almost always better to fix before selling.
4. Only you can know that.
5. I would reverse the order of the question and ask if it's a good idea to continue to have no mechanical knowledge when you own such a vehicle? These motors tend to make you learn quickly.

I'm not sure why the clutch issue leads you to consider a complete engine and box transplant? Seems a little extreme! Surely just fix what you've got for now. These are simple machines, and easily fixed. You just need to find somewhere that know what's what.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

^^ What he said!

You had one running issue, which you fixed.

Then you had another issue with the clutch that you have failed to fix.

There are limits to what can be wrong - and if I had to guess i would suggest your mechanic may have no idea what he was doing.

It should cost you significantly less than £2k to have a clutch fitted and your issue resolved.

Pop up where you are in the world and I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction for more useful mechanical assistance.
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

I believe that the book time for fitting a new clutch is estimated at around 3 to 4 hours. Add in the cost of a clutch kit and the job should only put you back around £300.

As others have already said:

T25Convert wrote:Pop up where you are in the world and I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction for more useful mechanical assistance.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

you said

the clutch pedal now has no pressure in it

so no, she won't go into gear!

It may not be the clutch at fault. Your leaking fluid was possibly clutch fluid - your slave or master cylinder has potentially expired.

deffo not a 2k fix.

The one at the front is fiddly; my recovery guy was persuaded to do mine in the office car park. Took him 25 mins...start to finish. Longest bit was trying to relocate the pipe on the union...he had big hands and the space is tight. The one above the engine is a damn sight more swear worthy, and many weld the lower bolt to the mounting bracket to make the next change a darn site easier!! Both cylinders shouldn't cost much more than £50-60 if you buy budget. A bit of clutch fluid (that's not cheap, but £30 should be a reasonable guess) and a couple of hours garage time. A decent mobile mechanic should be able to manage that as its only bolts.

What YOU can do to check is to look at the fluid tank in the dash...see if its low...

1. Approach the bus...I suggest sidling up to it so as not to worry it
2. Open drivers door, enter and sit down
3. Leann forwards over the steering wheel, with your arms, zombie like, aiming for the windscreen
4. lower arms to rear of the black dash cover.
5. feel for the two indents
6. grasp indents with fingers and yank upwards
7. Yank again. as the first won't have moved it. The spring clips are made of sturdy stuff!
8. Cover comes up... lift gently and dislodge from the clips around the front of the dash.
9. Look at the white container central to the dash. This is your combine brake / clutch fluid container/
10. is it full????

Hope that helps.

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

ermie571 wrote:

1. Approach the bus...I suggest sidling up to it so as not to worry it
2. Open drivers door, enter and sit down
3. Lean forwards over the steering wheel, with your arms, zombie like, aiming for the windscreen
4. lower arms to rear of the black dash cover.
5. feel for the two indents
6. grasp indents with fingers and yank upwards
7. Yank again. as the first won't have moved it. The spring clips are made of sturdy stuff!
8. Cover comes up... lift gently and dislodge from the clips around the front of the dash.
9. Look at the white container central to the dash. This is your combine brake / clutch fluid container/
10. is it full????

Brilliant.....

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl