JP Exhaust vs VW Speedshop

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

JP Exhaust vs VW Speedshop

Post by T25Convert »

Right lovely people, its new exhaust time (yay, I can already feel the head studs yielding under my spanner now...).

Having read all the helpful guidance and seen whats actually in stock its come down to a choice of JP Exhaust (as stocked by them, VW heritage, Just Krappers and Cool Air) or VW Speedshop (as stocked intermittently by them), both in stainless. Wish I was rich as I rather like the CSP python but HOW MUCH?!

Three questions for those who have either of these:

1) Noise - the family objected to previous exhaust choices I have made on aircoooled vehicles we have owned, so can only be a little bit louder than stock! What are they like, especially at cruising speed as nothing more wearing than motorway drone

2) Longevity - note old issues on cracking which seem to have been addressed. Concerned that JP Exhaust seems to have mild steel fixtures and fittings. An views?

3) Fitting with tow bar - note the VW Speedshop might mean a little fettling, but is the JP one an exact fit in the existing support hangers?

Cheers all.
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Re: JP Exhaust vs VW Speedshop

Post by phinw »

Hi,

I have the JP/ Just Kampers one. The quality is not bad for the money and it does the job, it's been on 3 years and no cracks or issues. It's a straight swap using the stock silencer hangers so easy to fit. Yes, the clamps are mild steel but you could swap them for stainless for relatively little money. Mine are fine as-is. Noise-wise it is the same as the stock mild steel one that came off. The only issue I've found is that it does blow a little around the clamped joints. If was fitting mine again I'd put a smear of high temp silicone in the joints on assembly.

Phin
1988 1.9 DG

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I have the Brickwerks one on both my vans one complete the other half done as you do it bit by bit as you need.

no complaints.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

phinw wrote:Hi,

I have the JP/ Just Kampers one. The quality is not bad for the money and it does the job, it's been on 3 years and no cracks or issues. It's a straight swap using the stock silencer hangers so easy to fit. Yes, the clamps are mild steel but you could swap them for stainless for relatively little money. Mine are fine as-is. Noise-wise it is the same as the stock mild steel one that came off. The only issue I've found is that it does blow a little around the clamped joints. If was fitting mine again I'd put a smear of high temp silicone in the joints on assembly.

Phin

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

itchyfeet wrote:I have the Brickwerks one on both my vans one complete the other half done as you do it bit by bit as you need.

no complaints.

I did look there first, but my issue is I need the whole lot, there is nothing to save on mine - totting it up its around £850 . I have no doubt it is excellent, but at £350 more than the other alternatives (and around £700 more than I really have to spend on an exhaust right now!) I can't really justify it.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

My vote goes to the VW Speedshop system every time. Its easy to fit, gives tangible performance gains and is surprisingly quiet (even though it looks as though it should be really noisy)
I've had three for myself so far: one on the syncro (modded for extra clearance) another is on the engine test rig and another in stock for another project engine.
Recommended.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Syncronorth
80-90 Mem No: 17245

Post by Syncronorth »

I have the Speedshop one, nearly had it for three years and are happy with it. I can't hear any difference in sound on motorway, but in a tunnel or anywhere where the sound reflects back to the car it's a bit more sound compared to the original exhaust. Not too loud at all, you might even end up opening your windows in tunnels to enjoy it more :D

Had no problem fitting it on a syncro with towbar, but guess it will be slightly different for 2WD

Had a accident recently where the exhaust took some of the impact, it's slightly bend and have some dents but working like before, so wouldn't be too worried about the quality.
1983 camper 1.9 DG 1985 transporter syncro 1.9 DG and one 1985 8-seater syncro 2. 1 DJ

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

speedshop needs a oil filter change to a small polo one for a 2.1 with stock oil cooler/warmer, so if you plan on going 2.1 in future without an expensive external oil cooler I would not recommend it, I tested oil pressure and it was down in some conditions a you wold expect with a smaller filter.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

T25Convert wrote: I can't really justify it.

Nobody can justify running a gas guzzling money pit old van, you do it for love.

if money is tight pick up a second hand steel one, I'm still running some steel headers that are nearly 10 years old.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Another for the Speedshop exhaust - fits beautifully and is only a smidgen louder than the original, you don't even notice it on the motorway. I'm pretty sure they've improved the design a few times since the original was created.

Here's a few pics so you can see how neat it fits:

ImageUntitled by Justin C, on Flickr

'86 DG, Weber Carb

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

A significant drop in observed oil pressure due to a slightly smaller filter? That needs investigating.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

silverbullet wrote:A significant drop in observed oil pressure due to a slightly smaller filter? That needs investigating.

Here are my tests, I'd be interested to know what difference there is on an engine with oil pressure that's only just in spec, relation ship between flow and pressure and all that, maybe it depends on where the flow is being lost on a low pressure engine, bleeding out past pump or leaking at crank may have a different result. Anyway anything that reduces pressure or flow in my book is not ideal for a WBX.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 4#p8213836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

Thanks all - for once I’m happy to have a 1.9 and not have to enter the world of dwarf filters.

Speedshop have emailed saying back in stock within the week, and there seems to be plenty of happy customers so leaning this way I think.

Will start spraying my nuts in preparation this weekend!!

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

T25Convert wrote:
Will start spraying my nuts in preparation this weekend!!

Be prepared , if they don't break then it's a bonus. May as well be realistic.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

They were new two years ago, fitted by PO when the heads were changed (have receipt).

Only issue is that he has used standard nuts which are mostly now rust.

Drilled some out before so not too phased by it, but would rather avoid it if I can. Dremel and nut splitters also at the ready.

Cobra88
80-90 Mem No: 16481

Post by Cobra88 »

I guess your a bit biased then paul :roll:

My speedshop exhaust is great and not broken