Replacing the dashboard plastic PCB

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Replacing the dashboard plastic PCB

Post by slowcoach »

Outstanding value for all the work you've put in here, when I have more time, and the tachometer LCD clock version is established, I'm sure I'll be in the queue :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

As many know, I've made several mods to my tintop (mostly safety improvements) and I've built quite a few low-draw gadgets to match my self-sufficient approach to camping, but Chris's work is right off the scale in terms of attention to detail. By far the best dash rebuild kit I've ever seen. Will do a constructors video to help those that buy CJH's kit. It is excellent!!! :D

Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Thanks Ralph - where do you want the commission cheques to go?

With Garyd's help I'm a bit closer to a version that should suit the LCD clock. The power connection is simple - there are already dedicated terminals on the board, and if the Dupont connectors fit the DOPS pins then they'll fit the clock power pins (and the tacho pins). The bulb for the clock backlight is a bit more of a problem. Once the foil is removed there's nothing to power the bulb, which is the same bayonet type as the other three. I doubt anyone would be willing to adapt the octagonal hole in the back so as to use a 10mm LED, so a different approach is needed.

So I've tried to make up an adapter that will fit the original octagonal hole and then accept a push-fit 5mm LED.

I would imagine that a 5mm LED will be bright enough for the LCD backlight - might need a bit of experimentation to find the right brightness. And of course I'll need to get some diffuse 5mm white LEDs.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

CJH

Post by CJH »

I've tweaked the LED adapter to give it a bit more body so that it's easier to handle. I made it for the LCD backlight bulb, but I don't have an LCD clock so I'm test-fitting it using an original bulb holder for the main gauges. It's quite possible that 5mm LEDs will be sufficient for the main gauges too, so this would be much cheaper than using replacement bulb holders. I've ordered some 5mm diffuse white LEDs and will see how well they work over the gauges.

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Post by diabolov »

I'm a bit of a sleeper on the whole site to be honest, and find the electrics side of things a bit of a brain scrambler but I've followed this thread with interest and I have got to give credit where it's due. As others have said, your attention to detail, openness about the developments', and the value for money of the end product after all the R and D you put in is outstanding.

I wish you the best of luck with the whole venture and will be banging at your door when my 32 year old dash electrics finally give up (probably just after I check the earth points this weekend :roll: ).

Regards

M
Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG

CJH

Post by CJH »

Thank you for your kind words. I have a day job to pay the bills, so I'm only in this for the challenge and a bit of beer (or Merlot) money. Any more than that and the tax man would start to take an interest. I'm slightly worried about the liability aspects in case of a blunder causing a fire risk, but I've been careful with the PCB design and I think making it a self-build kit might reduce my liability compared to a fully built product - I'd welcome any thoughts on that though. Sharing the developments has already paid dividends by encouraging suggestions and inputs.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Sold at own risk. Providing it is assembled as shown, it will work.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Cool kit indeed!

I wait a bit to check how the HUF/GBP rate moves in the next few days (I hope it will be better) but will buy a kit.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

That's seriously impressive. I made my own using veroboard from maplin, but this just takes it to another level completely!
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Mine uses veroboard (and works fine) but its coming out as this is way easier to modify and so clearly laid out. I never had a central backlight either so worth doing. Would definately recommend the use of standard LEDs for clock lights - cheap and easy to replace. I never did like the aftermarket COB LEDs that some sell - overkill. Plus they don't last as long.

CJH

Post by CJH »

My white 5mm diffuse LEDs arrived today, so I tried one as a gauge light.

Over the speedo gauge on the left, a 10mm diffuse white LED in one of my new bright white bulb holders.
Over the clock on the right, a 5mm diffuse white LED in an old yellowing original bulb holder.

Not much in it I reckon. The one on the left looks slightly brighter, but part of that is the colour difference, and actually I think I prefer the slightly warmer tone that the yellowing original bulb holder creates - it's closer to the filament bulb colour of the oil gauges on the left of the photo.

So I think the little LED adapters are a good option for anyone who doesn't want to modify their original bulb holders or splash out on new ones, especially since they're effectively free to make so will add nothing to the cost of the kit. And I think the adapter plus white LED ought to be a good option for the LCD clock backlight. It should also work for the central symbols bulb too - the 10mm board-mounted LED can be left off the board if desired - so I'll include a set of four bulb adapters in the kit.

I just need to tweak the design a fraction to make the LEDs a tighter fit (the white diffuse ones are a fraction smaller than the coloured ones I modelled the adapter on), and then I'll be able to start knocking a few of them out.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Looks good. I'll have the full kit :ok
Honorary "Dave" 

CJH

Post by CJH »

Good man. I'd better get on and put one together then! And finish the documentation.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

It's very impressive. I would seriously like to have that ability
Honorary "Dave" 

CJH

Post by CJH »

One set of dash bulbs. I made them a good tight fit, so the LEDs need a bit of a shove to get them in the adapters, but I'm confident they're not going to fall out.