Tortugas-van

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Re: Tortugas-van

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Hahaha, that is a serious bit of kit! 8). Way, way more secure than I was expecting! :ok
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

well with a few other things ive yet to do it will be reasonably secure , the lock has a 1 hour pick time if youve done them before as for the rest well nothing i9s 100% secure but it will not be an opportunist etc that does it so valuables will stay safe,
when we spoke i forgot stuff like sat navs and head faces as well as phones and netbooks/ipads etc etc, and when abroad then yes cards cash passports and documents you are obliged to carry, so making one for my self as well
mm

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I have a tiny suggestion: a stiffening rib on the back of the safe door.
I could see a determined theif having a go with a big crowbar & lump hammer and bending the door enough to spring the lock.
Ok so its belt & braces but if one is doing a job...

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Ahh well its laminated steel 16 mm thick and there will not be access to the gap to get that in ,well when its finnished there won't ,were stopping the opportunist and the better equiped bit agreed like most things it fawn be overcome ,suppose just draw a lone some place lol
mm

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Gotcha. It looks thinner in the pics, but as you say you've got to stop somewhere.
Not.getting it case hardened before fitting? :lol:

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well as you know there's bright steel and black steel.......
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well, safe built and sorted so i took it to be powder coated, the inside is the main area and whilst deep he reckons with enough heat he can get it to draw down there :D
refitted the tow bar, what a difference when the threads are tapped out and greased, finger tight all the way.the wiring socket was a bit grubby and festered so a drop of acid in the ends worked wonders
then noticed that the osr light guard would not fit as the jack wants to occupy the same space, so modded the guard and thats at the coaters as well :lol:
theres always something you fail to foresee....
after cutting the lip of the upper x member i have now sat the charge cooler rad in place. im now able to have it nicely spaced away from the main rad which i think will be beneficial ?
this shows it sat on the member and note the water connection is now at the rear and angled away and down a touch, ive yet to run a bead of weld along this cut edge,
if i decide to offer a water cooled set up alongside the air/air one then i will make the rad a more suitable size to just drop in place without cutting etc . likewise the cooler itself will have all entries/exits same as the air/air one i did and this will obviate the need for cutting holes in arches etc and make a tidier job i hope..
now this next item is a silly one but......................... remember i said something really bugged me when you were down :idea:
fixed :lol:
mm

ninja.turtle007

I never even noticed the carrier was wonky until you pointed it out. I guess mods made by previous owner you don't really scrutinise like the alterations you make yourself.

What did you use to clean the terminals on the tow bar?

ninja.turtle007

As I've been van less and on jury service I've had enough spare time to fit this. :D

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

You might need to leave that spirit level in the safe, Mickey...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Nitric
hearth looks toooooo clean, wont last, whats on the table next to the henry brush end ?
nice flooring as well.
adrian , im being slow tonight level in safe :?
mm :lol:

ninja.turtle007

metalmick8y wrote:Nitric
hearth looks toooooo clean, wont last, whats on the table next to the henry brush end ?
nice flooring as well.
adrian , im being slow tonight level in safe :?
mm :lol:

The hearth is a few years old, I fitted it with an insert fireplace when we moved in. I fitted a wood burner in the other room a coupe of years ago and I have realised how efficient they are compared to the open fire. The design of the stove is really good as virtually no ash falls out when I open the door unlike the other one we have.

The floor and the walnut fire surround I made/fitted. Perks of my job.

The the item table is my watch or a lamp? Just out of shot is the thermostat ready to be fitted to the van when it's home.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Ah the parky flooring, is it a sheet of individuals , looks too neat for the former as i laid 20 odd yds of lovely old reclaimed in the last place and it wasnt as neat as that, thereagain i dont do wood
mm

ninja.turtle007

They were new oak blocks. Laid individually. Much easier than reclaimed.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

metalmick8y wrote:adrian , im being slow tonight level in safe :?
Ninja's whole living room's a bit on the wonk...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;