T25 TWO COOLANT BOTTLES CONFUSED ??

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

leethetree38
80-90 Mem No: 13244

T25 TWO COOLANT BOTTLES CONFUSED ??

Post by leethetree38 »

Hi all,
recently bought my van (1989 t 25 diesel) ,just been checking fluid levels oil,water etc.looked at the coolant bottle behind reg plate and was empty so
topped up,but soon as i went for a run and checked level again ,it had emptied and filled the main coolant bottle in engine bay(which i might add id missed idiot !!).
so whats is the function of the second coolant bottle behind the reg plate,as the other is obviously the main one.(also it has had a new 1.9 td engine put in so not original).any ideas for a newbie ?????
thanks guys.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: T25 TWO COOLANT BOTTLES CONFUSED ??

Post by Ralf85 »

The tank behind the number plate is for just a top up and overflow. The other tank is pressurised once the engine is running and that is critical. If you've let the coolant drop that low you may now have air in the system. In the meantime, you will probably have to keep topping up until you have a full 16 litres of coolant back in the system. Keep checking and keep topping up. Do not overfill the top up tank as you need to leave space for coolant flowing back in.

leethetree38
80-90 Mem No: 13244

Post by leethetree38 »

Ralf85 wrote:The tank behind the number plate is for just a top up and overflow. The other tank is pressurised once the engine is running and that is critical. If you've let the coolant drop that low you may now have air in the system. In the meantime, you will probably have to keep topping up until you have a full 16 litres of coolant back in the system. Keep checking and keep topping up. Do not overfill the top up tank as you need to leave space for coolant flowing back in.

hi there , thanks for the reply,just spoke to the guy i bought the van off...he said there has never been any water in the top up tank,it has always been empty,does this sound right. ??so when i put some in today ,it seems to have gone straight into the main one,i didnt want to put any more in in case it over fills it.
regards

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

The header tank inside the engine bay must always be full.

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

Have a read of this http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/bleed ... 29710.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's for bleeding the system, but there is lots of information about the tanks, caps, levels etc.

Ralf85

Post by Ralf85 »

What!!! That approach is so stupid.
The header tank should always be full and is topped from the tank behind the number plate. If the level drops you need to top it back up to the max mark. That's how you can keep the system topped up and keep an eye on any problems that might occur with leaks.

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Post by Negativegravity »

My top up tank is always on the max, but the header tank drops gradually over weeks of driving. I top the header back up right to the brim once the engine is cold, but it drops down again gradually over the next few weeks. Why might this be? I would have thought that the top up tank should automatically re-fill it?

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

Ralf85 wrote:What!!! That approach is so stupid.
The header tank should always be full and is topped from the tank behind the number plate. If the level drops you need to top it back up to the max mark. That's how you can keep the system topped up and keep an eye on any problems that might occur with leaks.

Why's it stupid??

Its written by a man who spends his days repairing t3s
98 Westfalia James Cook

Ralf85

Post by Ralf85 »

jason k wrote:
Ralf85 wrote:What!!! That approach is so stupid.

Why's it stupid??

Its written by a man who spends his days repairing t3s
That's seriously worrying!
:?

Bigjcc55
80-90 Mem No: 10140

Post by Bigjcc55 »

What's stupid and worrying?
1985 1.9 Devon moonraker
1992 2.1 SA big window syncro
1991 TDI syncro panel van

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Ensure the valve in the cap for the pressurised tank is working.It should work one way.Some go faulty and coolent is not under pressure allowing it to cause the top up tank to go empty after a short time.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Negativegravity wrote:My top up tank is always on the max, but the header tank drops gradually over weeks of driving. I top the header back up right to the brim once the engine is cold, but it drops down again gradually over the next few weeks. Why might this be? I would have thought that the top up tank should automatically re-fill it?
reads like your header tank cap is not functioning correctly.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Same here, definitely worth trying new cap. I've been through a few caps in case one/two was faulty, all decent brands. Now looking for leaks as in other thread.
Honorary "Dave" 

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

kevtherev wrote:
Negativegravity wrote:My top up tank is always on the max, but the header tank drops gradually over weeks of driving. I top the header back up right to the brim once the engine is cold, but it drops down again gradually over the next few weeks. Why might this be? I would have thought that the top up tank should automatically re-fill it?
reads like your header tank cap is not functioning correctly.

Or it might be the pipe that goes from that cap to the top up tank is not sealed. That pipe never has pressure in it, but it does need to be well sealed or, when the system tries to suck coolant from the top up tank, it can suck air instead.

Re those caps (Dalek caps as they have come to be known). Don't buy them from GSF or Just Kampers. Both are known to sell poor quality ones, and poor quality coolant system parts is just what you don't want on a T25 ;)
Best buy them from that strange bloke mentioned above that has no idea when it comes to bleeding T25's or much else to do with them for that matter :roll: :roll: HERE (and now only £5.92 :))
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here