Sunnivagon

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Sunnivagon

Post by kevtherev »

There's a ship at the bottom of the Atlantic with a spot or two of rust like this van.
I wonder if you fancy a real test of metal working skills :D
It'll be an investment opportunity Mike. :ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

habitat welding and the like,nope quit that life :rofl
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well .took a while for the heating to get going hate the cold, still sorted the arch
ran a quick seam down here, i have kept the same view as the earlier picks as it gives continuity and sense
run over with a disc
same at this end
its close to the painted/seen area but will be under the rubber mat,still got to look right though
and the rest sanded back
gave it a quick coat to prevent moisture starting the rust all over again
this part is just sealed from new and very thoroughly but... Ive dabbed a quick braze in there to consolidate it,will still seal it as well but just fell happier doing this
rear of wing to B post is now aligned nicely and seam gap is constant so dosed it and that will do it till sealing from the rear
this the underside of the ns step prior to sealing
and last job before calling it a day was to fit this up with nice new hoses etc
nice that i prepped it a few days ago and the dynax is well dry enough, still tacky but they are horrid to do when fresh.
mm :D

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Heating as well - gee you Northerners are spoilt :rofl

Package arived yesterday cheers, been in bed all week with aweful flu though so can't go play.

Also got one of these for localised cleaning so I don't have to keep firing up the pressure pot :)

Might even get that roof finished soon :roll:

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

thoise little blasters work well but you need to remove the stupid catch bag, replace it with some convoluted hose (like old vac cleaner stuff and fit a vented catch container to the other end ,gallon container etc) this stops the back pressure that prevents the little thing doing its job.....
will pm you ref the package
mm

VAN with a PLAN
80-90 Mem No: 9602

Post by VAN with a PLAN »

I love following these threads and really appreciate you taking all the extra time and effort to take all these photos and post them up along with your explanations. It's great to see these huge jobs evolve!
:ok :ok
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it!

1986 Caravelle 1.9DG 5spd

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Thanks for that :D taking pickies takes a few minutes, pee bucket is what takes the time !
adding info ,well it helps explain a picky , more the reasons for doing something and with luck if you were to do the job yourself and come across a situation then maybe it might help.
A lot of folk on here take plenty of pickies and it illuminates a thread and I enjoy reading them as much as anyone,
T3Aljezur's thread is brilliant and I cant get enough of the info , really will keep an eye on this epic in the making :rofl
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well its saturday so longish lunch :D
drilled the chanel for the slider seal ready to fit
sill has already been dealt with and treated with weldthru so after a quick mod to the mig its on
then in with the disc and sorted
cant get better picks as ity wont focus to the rear of the chanel Oh for the old manual 35mm.....
now spent a good hour messing with stuff and have managed to refit the slider and such so that I now have this as opposed to the awfull step before, also the fore/aft is now within a couple of mm and the gaps are parralel at 7mm and 9mm respectivly
happy now
mm :D

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Sorry Mike, been away with work until lunchtime today - great pics . I am looking at those seams with love already.

:ok

@ Kev :lol: Just glad it's being sorted properly, dread to think what would have happened if I went with my very first enquiry. :D
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well I was having a poke about as I do and
Hmm, not to worry , need to remove the nsr llower panal as its a bit crusty
that was easy , wonder what else needs to happen :lol:
Oh heck yes,the glued on panal, well bonded but enough of that
and this is looking at it from under the arch
and this is the bit of rear 1/4 that I cut off showing where the glue join was made :lol:
well theres nothing for it, cant hang about and mess with it as I need access so off with it
to leave this little lot, which isnt as bad as it looks
so we start to cut some of the bad out to get to rust free
theres a lot of sealant to scrape off as well which is aleways a pain to do.
if your doing this job yourself then try adding the lower part like this to give you an idea of where to work to
this is now with the bad bits cut out
inside out
and the first part made and ready to fit, it will ofcourse be butt welded and this will form the base of the tray and the subsequent pieces will be as o/e well near enough anyway
there is nothing wrong with bonding panals on, this is how a lot of new vehicles are built and it does have its advantages, i just dont think its applicable to these vans
mm :ok

LittleMissSunshine

:ok

Dr. B.
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Dr. B. »

It staggers me to think of how many rough moors cattle grids we've been across in the van. I'm amazed it hasn't just fallen apart.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

there was plenty of filler keeping it clagged together
mm

LittleMissSunshine

Advice please ...

What's the best way to make all the finishing touches right. Do we need new bumpers, locks, vents, wipers etc or can the ones we have all be made to look like new?

Also the hub caps are rubbish, if funds allow I think the van deserves a decent set of wheels :D any thoughts?

Then, the interior .... :run

From fellow vagoners on here - any thoughts? Or Mike is this all in hand and I'll stop waffling :lol:

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well some bits could do with changing out, but others will clean up and do ok , and as theyve just been fitted and all bolts etc are coppaslipped then they come aprt dead easy so take your time with these ancillary replacements. the obvious stuff are being sorted anyway
mm