The Trukkvagon is coming

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Re: The Trukkvagon is coming

Post by jes*b »

metalmick8y wrote:when a suitable one comes along
:whistle :whistle

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Well more enjoyment, well in some ways its easier than repairing though little beats a good bit of creative fabrication.....anyhow slider fitted up so attending to the slider cover and the latch for keeping the door open, the murkyness you see is the terotex(dynax) i use it as its runnier, any how the track top and the area up to the side window is coated, idea being that water will run down here but with this covering it should help keep it from doing much damage
I.m on a roll here and have fitted the cover and very happy with alignment , this one really has locked down tight,
and in my excitemant i didnt notice the slider was sat at 45' to the van and not in the guide.... :oops: cheated and managed to fit it without taking the cover off, dont ask....
gapping is as good as I can make it, better view of the terotex
arch cleaned up and sprayed with dynax where needed
so this bit is now done, so glad to get the snotter off and the real wheel back on, I always remove nice rims and fit a spare set of runarounds on , this way there are no worries damaging tasty ones
now im wiring the towbar lecky up and have noticed that the loom dont look 100%, so peel it/cut it open and find that its got a bit hot inside and the sheaving had fused together.. not good, it had been re-routed on to the exhaust by whoever did the last repairs
the ends were crimped with brass ferrules so after cutting back to good cable i have soft soldered the ends as this is to my mind better to clamp in the fitting then solely twisted wires.
also you can tell that at some point in the past somebody who is not fammiliar with these vans had used a screwdriver to try and prize the centre out of the cab door winder handle. :lol: to fit a new speaker cable. will do a picky tomoz . had a right go they did
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well wiring the tow socket and rear big bumper all back together now, finnished the last wheel arch, dynax leaking out of lots of sill orrifices.
before
after
well there were one or two stages inbetween.
all happy again
soo that leaves the interior to refit and the glass..
mm

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Cracking work as per usual mate :ok
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well its pretty much done externally, been very badly let down by a supplier with the added bonus of them thinking for themselves and not communicating their thouights to me, cost me near on a week, anyhow matter now resolved so onwards with the rest of the internals
its saturday so a glass of white to help the late afternoon,nicely reblacked
and fitted with a smear of nice black sealant
this backing board fits next, you need to make sure you have routed the variouse cables etc behind, i have taped the joins on the insulation
next to drop the water tank in , thgis cannot be removed wioth the unit in plaxce so whilst it was out i took advantage and cleaned it out and checked it over prior to refitting, be churlish not to , robbed a duvet cover for the seat , the rest of the interior was 100% stripped out as ,a, i had to for access and ,b, i dont want to risk covering furnishings and such in paint grime or anything els.
this is the unit ready to install, this should be fitted before connecting up the water fill pipes and i also intend to connect up the 240v input prior to hooking the water up as the fill pipe restricts access to the lecky connections
will have to post up as i need to take anothe rpick or two
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Done
first unit now sat in place and you can see roughly where stuff starts to go/fit
this better shows the filler pipe, as this goes through a bulkhead in the unit you have to connect after installing the cuboard
raer of main kitchen unit, note i have taped heavy card to the flooring as i really dont need a cut or tear in it
having the day of tomoz and going to lincoln in me van
mm

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

i noticed you used some fluff (insulation)...what are your thoughts on said fluff mike?
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well, said 'fluff' is a vag part, its whats fitted to westies byb the fatherland
ive usually found it to be bone dry on vans with factory glass, Pauls was no exception, the only bit that was a tiny bit iffy was the fridge panal area, but as this had a few holes along the sill seam this would explain it.
i wouldnt use it as is, in a van with windows cut in though.
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well fluff aside :lol: back to the methodical replacements all wiring clipped where it needs and so main kitchen unit lifted in and lowered over gas outlet in floor, I keep at this anglke as its easier and also allows mre to check all is well and also connect up a few items.
then just ease it back
its now lowered and all connections remade and this unit is now bolted to unit next to it and also the b pillar, carpets reglued around the seat bases and handbrake bits reassembled.
seals arrived so in with the windows then the last of the rear furniture to fit. and a ton of small bits and pieces :roll:
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well on with little bits had a hiccup as one of the rear legs on the golf snotter blew out so down to the yard and get one removed of a scrappy,,,,
cleaned up the rear badges , the logo backing reblacked,
they are not big items, they only take a few minutes but as somebody said the devil is in the detail and its the little things that complete a look
nice clean rubber :shock:
flap lock
returned the jets i got from another supplier as they were the worst ive ever seenm back in with nice vag items
wipers held on with new ss nuts
loads of other stuff done. all the fron cab carpet refitted and the seats are back in, van was mint inside so safest to remove /protect it all during works.
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well after supplier delays and such got much of it finnished today,
fitted all the glass with the new chrome trim,
nsr
so could finally finnish the rear un its
busy area, it takes time to clean and make sure all is as I would like it,but nothing worse than refitting something that you know will have to be removed again to make right, these little things dont normally show up but when a van has been painted they stick out like a sore thumb
will have to be getting the wax out next before the drive down south...
so just a few bits to finnish and it will be a nice van.
mm

trentjim
80-90 Mem No: 11422

Post by trentjim »

cheers for those... chrome trim looks real nice

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

true but ££££££ and a pain to fit
mm :lol:

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

A totally fantastic thread.

I have been trawling through the pages looking for ideas and information to help me do the mother-in-laws rust bucket.

The van looks fantastic - all the more incentive for me to crack on with my new labour of love.

Many thanks for being so thorough, and making it look "doable" :ok
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well this is about it as it is being reunited in the morning :D
inner tailgate dosed with dynnax and the insulation going back in , was bone dry anfter 20+ years so no worries
both front steps have now been waxed :shock:
while we were at it the doors as they were off well thery got in the way so got painted as well... at least the colour now matches
sill and rear of arch looking well again
and in responce to a pm bemoaning my slackness and lack of attention to detail, well I hope this now satisfies you pedant :twisted:
i have some of the whole van in fresh air but not posting until after the recipient has had the benefit of first looks , good or bad.....
mm :ok