Body (or lack of it)

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Body (or lack of it)

Post by Plasticman »

Yep, verticle bonded on 75%, drumming is cured with the pads I fit for the purpose, think my heavyweight furniture will stop enough and the rail I took off virtually fell off.
Interesting this but thats 3 vans where the side rail on this panal whilst still fixed - ish to the pillars, the sealant/adhesive has set and is not stuck to the outer skin, cause of rot starting or symtom of it?
mike

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Did you vactan the bare metal first and put seam sealer on afterwards?
I suppose its important to seal the spot welded joint where the arch joins the new panel. Did you just use seam sealer for this or some other sealant?
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Anti-rust first IMHO
Then seam sealer (sometimes using RTV silicone)

the sealant/adhesive has set and is not stuck to the outer skin, cause of rot starting or symtom of it?
Seen that too, in doors... not sure it affects corrosion, but integrity and stiffness
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Harry what I was thinking of with regard to the rot behind the rails is this, ;on the ones I have recently done the rail has been fairly intact but the bonding agent has set solid on the rail but with no adhesion on the panal,
I will assume that when built it was stuck to it so ,
has the build up of condensate gradually worked its way in through the top of the rail and once festering the inside of the panal continues downward and in the process the bonding agent is now atatched to rust and so the process goes till its parted company from the panal.
I cant see the bonding giving way first allowing the condensate a moist crevice in which to fester. though that said when removing reaqr wings the bonding on these is often detatched though not to the same degree.

Yep if there is still rust on the fixtures that cant be removed and I cant get all of it of and never will then I apply a light dilute touch of phospheric acid (can use vactan or dinitrol etc) then weld thru primer, after all welding done then vactan the lot .and when dry I brush or gun apply seam sealer, mine is unbranded in 1ltr tins,and use a 'gloy' (remember that) brush to put it on.

For adhering the strengthening members I use different products for different app's but on these I am using PolysealEco 101 made by Hodgeson sealants ltd http://www.hodgsonsealants.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I happen to get it from O'scarys in Beverley. right cheap it is and works very well, sticks good and maintains a degree of flexibility.
Dont know what else to add save that Im not paid by the coloumb inch :idea and H you could rewrite this to 2 para's and it would no doubt read better..
mike

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Ive had the morning leading up so as its lunchtime iwill bung it up now, this is the wing where it joins under the slider cover and is very very clean , you can see the liquid solder applied (fryolux) I use a 40-60 mix,
and this is the new panal I made for the bottom of the side panal (fridge) the join is just below the swage line
I havent shown too many picks of the process as I like to keep the heat in the job as its a pain to start again from cold,
but heat is applied to the fryolux and steel wool is used to spread and consolidate it, you then follow with the lead, I do a foot stretch at a time and keep it warm as it aids moving it about, here is a few pieces on the vertical side of the fridge panal
and this is the same finnished off
needs a tiny bit of filler as its not worth the effort of adding more lead. for interest I have used 1 stick (1/2kilo)of lead for each of the 4 seams so thats about £20.
At least the rust should stay back for a week or 3 :D

mike

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well not much to post for the last week, finnished leading up , had a bit of filler to put in, motor is now ready for taking on the truck to the paintshop tommorow, will strip the rest of stuff of there, also got all the gear to sand the residue down,
its sat well high with all the carp out, bloody fiammi weighs a ton
Front wasnt in that bad a condition
front door I got of windysurfer earlier in the year so they are mint .
Then I had this baked for me,
Bakewell tart with home made rasp jam
Quit painting cars years ago but never forget so the coming week will be fun
mike

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Bakewell tart with home made rasp jam

Whehay ! Proper job that 8)

Our rasps are now tailing off, and all in jams of one sort of another, often mixed with redcurrants. Onto the blackberries, which are large and prolific this year - just waiting for the apples to go with them.

PS. Any chance of a piccy of all the tools and sundries for working the filler and body back to snuff.. all in one shot, for the Wiki :idea

Syncronaut No. 1

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Plenty of Raspberry ones in this lot... :D

and another crate well on the way, just waiting for the plums & greengages to ripen :P

Syncronaut No. 1

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Talk about topic diversification :oops: our allotment going well, just moved a load of fruit so not much this year, but oregon thornless look to be doing well as are the goosegogs, new fruit trees are just establishing.
redcurrant jam my favorite followed by plum
Back to topic
Mate came over in the truck today so loaded up and of to our shop, So nice to be back with state of the art equipment and unlimmited air etc, spent a couple of hours with a DA and 180 discs and got half of it down to polished steel, back to it in the morning and rattle the rest off then self etch and panal guard first then on to primers and the like, brought the box of colour swatches back home to try and decide the shade? thats the hardest part. will post some picks up t'morrow
mike

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Shall I do a pick with the hand tools and what most folk would have and one with the power stuff as well , what exactly do you require ?
mike

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Yes, sounds good, just thought it'd be topical and help complete the picture, and could put in the Wiki as well, separately to archiving the whole thread.

Syncronaut No. 1