Spraying Rustoleum

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Spraying Rustoleum

Post by CovKid »

Started this one off for those that want to discuss spraying Rustoleum. Its been tagged from 'roller' thread and linked from WIKI article:

dreamcatcher wrote:Spotted a 110 watt electric sprayer in aldi today so grabbed it as they were nearly all gone, it says on the box suitable for all water based and celulous based paints and also said suitable for car painting, just wondering if anyone has tried one of these on their van using combi colour and if so what was the result, sorry but unable to post pics of the sprayer but it looks just like a weed sprayer but smaller with a 1.5 ltr bottle attached and basicly plug in and spray, any feedback would be great, Cheers.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _13570.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Spraying Rustoleum

Post by AngeloEvs »

Cannot comment on this one as I have never used it but, in my experience, the piston type require the paint mix has to be so thin that you will have problems with 'runs' and 'splatter'. The only non compressor type spray outfits that give anywhere near good enough results are the High volume - Low pressure models. These use a spray gun connected via a large diameter hose and incorporate a Turbine - like a powerful vacuum cleaner in reverse is the best way I can describe them. Used those and had the desired results with very little over spray....see what others say though.

This is the Appollo that I have used in the past and can vouch for, also available in a more portable version that is cheaper and used that one too with good results.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/4/prod ... 792035.htm
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

I'd agree... piston type sprayers are generally really crap even with fence paint... :rofl :rofl My dad bought one as he thought it would be easier than brushing the many fence panels around his garden.. er.. not..... useless... had to water it down so much it wasnt worth putting it on... :roll:

A few years ago, someone on here got one of those HVLP (high volume low pressure) fan type sprayers and di a van matt black IIRC.. as it was matt and wasnt too worried about finish, he was impressed at how well it did.. dont know what make it was though..

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

...and they ain't cheap either.....biggest mistake was selling mine and wished I had kept it!

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Those sprayers are rubbish, anything thicker than water is no good. The liquid drips from the nozzel too.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

I have one of these

http://www.mptools.co.uk/products.asp?partno=HV5000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and it does a good job on walls (latex based paint), fences and I wil try the garage door when we get some better weather

the cheap ones are pants so avoid.
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

hammy44
80-90 Mem No: 3462

Post by hammy44 »

i have an apollo one have had it for 20yrs great we sprayer have just finished spraying my mini great finish little or no paint waste.would use it quicker than the big air compressor other than for a large job.
jim
member 3462
1988 autohomes karisma 2.1dj

mark1967
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mark1967 »

Before the bad weather started back end of last year I started spraying my van.Now waiting for better weather to spray the top half. My compressor is just a 1.5hp cheapo job and I used the equally cheapo gravity fed gun that came with one of those accessory kits for about £20.I had never sprayed anything before apart from using rattlecans.I put a water trap on the compressor set the pressure to about 45-50 psi played with the gun till I got a fan shape as mentioned in all the books.The paint was mixed 80/20 paint to white spirit and off I went.The results while not being perfect were certainly acceptable.The only problems I got were due to my inexperience, the main one being trying to fling too much on at one go resulting in a few runs :oops: With a bit of care and patience a good finish is very achievable.
Pics below are after 2-3 coats with a flatting off between coats 2 and 3 all painting was done were you see it on the front yard

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I got my Apollo Spraymate HVLP-2000 in the post today.... it looks to be 99% made of plastic, the box hardly weighed a thing! I'm planning to spray and/or roller my T25 in Ral 5002.

My T25 has been stripped down and the body rubbed down to reveal some filler, and will need some additional filler to level things out a bit.
Its been rubbed down to solid OG paint and right through to bare metal in some places...and obviously bare metal in the places where welding has been done. So its a patchwork of different materials. The seams will be sandblasted, as will any other rusty bits.

I've been thinking of using Vactan to treat the bare metal patches, seams etc and to convert any remaining rust. Then use a Zinc primer such as Zinc 182 over the whole lot, followed by Rustoleum. Any thoughts on this approach?
Would I need another high-build primer over the Zinc 182?
How do you get ripples completely out of panels?
Like if you discover a ripple after the primer is on, what is the process to fix it? Can you apply filler on top of vactan?

Not sure if I'm on the right track or not...
Heres a photo of the current situation. What would you do??
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Thats the darker blue remember:

Could also work well with that colour at the top and Tardis Royal blue (5003?) at the bottom. Saw that scheme on a narrowboat the other day and it did look very smart - posh even.

Hey, someone with the same colour as me at last. Incidentally, Chickenkoop is going to spray Rustoleum too, starting with his tailgate so we'll keep you posted!
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

johnboy
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2102

Post by johnboy »

I have a Gracco G. T. S. 2500 High volume low pressure sprayer, used to use it for spraying furniture with cellulose paint and lacquer also sprayed oil based paint, this is a turbo sprayer, I think you would be able to spray the paint u mention as it does not have to be as thin as Hiss to vaporise, when I next see Quigmire I will get a tad of paint from him and give it a demo!!! I think this would give a great finish to this paint u are using on your vans.
This machine was not cheap.,. :ok
(Do as least as possiable)

Bert2
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Bert2 »

Just sprayed half my van in the drive, I did not want alot of overspray and mess so I set the comp to min pressure tested spray pattern and off I went, just make sure there is no wind or nextdoor will not be happy, also made sure there were no parked cars in the area just in case! Its the first time I have attempted this and the finish is great. as mentioned before paint mixture was 80/20 and it was touch dry in a few hours with no smell made sure I had a mask though, waiting for a good day to finish off the van. :ok

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

boatbuilder wrote:I got my Apollo Spraymate HVLP-2000 in the post today.... it looks to be 99% made of plastic, the box hardly weighed a thing! I'm planning to spray and/or roller my T25 in Ral 5002.

That's modern manufacturing, my old Appollo was stainless steel and easy to clean down with thinners. You should find it ideal though. These units suck vast quantities of air and I used to put mine in an open top box so that it could only suck air downwards (not off the floor) and placed well away from where I was spraying. They have a filter or used to ....you will have to post pics when its done and how well the Appollo worked with enamel.

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

I did the front lower panel on my van with Rustoleum red in a rattle can which sprayed OK but as expected from a rattle can it was somewhat watery.....
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

martin t25
80-90 Mem No: 5707

Post by martin t25 »

mark1967 wrote:Before the bad weather started back end of last year I started spraying my van.Now waiting for better weather to spray the top half. My compressor is just a 1.5hp cheapo job and I used the equally cheapo gravity fed gun that came with one of those accessory kits for about £20.I had never sprayed anything before apart from using rattlecans.I put a water trap on the compressor set the pressure to about 45-50 psi played with the gun till I got a fan shape as mentioned in all the books.The paint was mixed 80/20 paint to white spirit and off I went.The results while not being perfect were certainly acceptable.The only problems I got were due to my inexperience, the main one being trying to fling too much on at one go resulting in a few runs :oops: With a bit of care and patience a good finish is very achievable.
Pics below are after 2-3 coats with a flatting off between coats 2 and 3 all painting was done were you see it on the front yard
hi loving the colour can you confirm is this ral7322 ?
2.0 Aircooled westy joker automatic (june 79)