Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

White spirit (again £1 shops). Not sure if the lawsons thinners have any special properties but white spirits worked ok for me.

Yes it was done outside. Just happened to have a day with no bugs about.

Do remember you have flatting down to do although we're doing another in a few weeks (a white one) and only plan on doing one layer of paint on that. A flat down with wet and dry 1200 and polish should do fine for that job.

Again, even the wet and dry came from £1 shops! If you're on a budget and want a finish that will stand up to the rigours of British weather, this is the way to go. Most frequent question I get asked is "Ah but whats it like close up?" - answer there is its as good as the flatting back and polishing.

Between stages its slightly orange peely but flats back lovely. Don't have paint to thick and its ok even as it is.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Please note, this is ONLY a basic chart. The full range is awesome!

I used RAL 5002 as it was. Have a whole tin left over unopened. You only need one tin in my view but two would see you out for additional coats years later or for touching up I guess. Besides its not THAT expensive.
Last edited by CovKid on 31 Jul 2008, 11:46, edited 3 times in total.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Wizard and all that, thanks for all the details that really matter... like you say, can just about see the orange peel on the just painted not flatted picture - and sprayed thickly will get much worse than that if the thinners isn't just so etc.

Any tips on flatting back quickly other than being strong in the elbow grease department?
Must say, I rather like the idea of a thin single coat :)

Time this was all in the Wiki I think.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I had hoped someone will transfer the basics into the WIKI but I'll try to put it all in some order first as this is spread over 3 threads which is why I decided to create a single one.

Flatting back lot easier than I thought. 600 £1 shop grade used with warm slightly soapy water took it back fairly briskly but I do recommend a week (preferably with at least one day of full sun) to help set the last layer.

The volkszone thread advocated flatting back the following day but in my humble opinion thats far to soon. Leave at LEAST a week before flatting. Anyone who prefers spraying might consider rollering for first couple of layers then spray to finish but I like the lack of mess.

One GOOD tip though - when you're holding the tray in one hand and rollering with the other - watch you're not pouring the contents of the tray on your drive or shoes! Best to put tray down. You can lay corrugated cardboard along the sides of your bus underneath in case you're accident prone or don't want the odd drip.

As I say, after a couple of hours drying time I can drive away but it won't harden off fully for at least 48 hours. Theres a spec sheet on drying/reapplication but so much depends on weather. Ideal day is slightly cloudy and few bugs - mornings are good.

Next post will be before and after shots of the results of flatting back to show you how smooth it can look.

Hope no one is cheesed off with this thread. There are plenty of sites that give details on using this paint but this is specifically T25/VW Bus as its a big vehicle and ideal for this method. I see plenty of rusty looking wedges about (particularly along seams) but if you sand these areas back, treat with Vactan then prep for the rust-oleum paint (no primer needed), theres no reason why your wedge can't look smart once again with no sign of creeping rust.

Today I shall be spraying the front grill. You'll notice I've filled sections that have been chipped - just needs a coat of paint to bring it back to its former glory. I notice someone on ebay is selling second hand rear vents sprayed with chrome paint. Nice touch that - might go that route. The caravelle is more chrome orientated. Anyone out there with a good REAR chrome bumper? Might be willing to come help roller a van for a swap!

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by t25adict »

i used to work in the fork truck industry.. and during that time i spent many hours tarting up long term hire trucks to go back out on hire...
we used paints like this and the cheap white 3 - 4 inch rollers and often managed a realy good finish.. even without flatting back the finish is better than a "cheap" spray job... you end up with alot more paint actualy on the thing being painted and the protection is alot better.

i also found with a roller it gets into the gaps realy well.....
as on these seams we all have on our vans are a right pain, rollering offers a realy good layer...
if like alot your dead set on a spray job.. a good rolled on coat or two...
of high build acid etch primer will give so much more protection than a sprayed on coat..
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

MINI_BUS
80-90 Mem No: 2793

Post by MINI_BUS »

nice one mate looks ace ready to buy some myself

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

I can see why mornings and overcast would be better, especially in the summer when on any warm day little thermal gusts soon start up by noon - but maybe add a warning to let any dampness burn off first, 7 a.m not so good :)

If you want to put the relevant posts together together in a text file and send it with links to the pictures at the right places, I'm happy to copy the pics to Wiki database and format the entry if you want.

moderator@club80-90syncro.co.uk

Wondering if my dropsides will present a problem?

Syncronaut No. 1

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

Interested to see it once its been flatted and polished.
Rob.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Yes, some close ups would be nice ... hope we're not asking too much, but a novel-sized book with colour illustrations would be good :)

Syncronaut No. 1

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I think dropsides might be tricky actually. Possibly you might have to spray those but at least you could remove them and do sererately.

Thanks for the heads-up in the WIKI. I'll try to post the entire process in this thread and then pull out all the original posts from earlier threads. Hopefully anyone else buying rust-oleum and having a go can add their two-penneth too.

The paint is excellent and having sprayed vehicles over the years, I've seen rust creep back numerous times. Normally its very difficult to put a halt to rust but this paint is designed for the purpose.

You can't stir this paint like crazy - you'll introduce air bubbles that would take forever to come out so when you mix thinners, go easy - another tip.

I note that VW bug owners seem to go for the Marlin Blue a fair bit - its very close to the common pale blue you see on 1200 beetles.

Anyway, I'll try to photograph a flatted and buffed area to demonstrate how good a finish you can get. Rob (ChickenKoop) keeps asking me to do that so I'll make an effort this week.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

It'll be all about getting the light hitting it at the right angle and using that devilish menu option that shows a flower meaning 'close-up focus' I imagine - that menu option that you can never find when you want it - on my cheapie digi anyway.

Syncronaut No. 1

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Week two. Resprayed the front grills matt black (after some repair) and rear grill vents silver.

Replaced front wind/water gulley and gutter trim with chrome clip-on trim designed for minis. Just waiting for a spare day to flat back and roller third coat of paint.

Paint budget still under £50 including the matt black and silver paint - + £10 for the chrome trim

geordie skydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2988

Post by geordie skydiver »

Clucking bells, it looks great, I'm so gonna paint my next van this way.

Great work Covkid. :D
Lee

Learn to skydive with me.... www.skydiveacademy.org.uk

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Now in the Wiki

Thanks for writing this up Ralph

Syncronaut No. 1

west E
80-90 Mem No: 2370

Post by west E »

willoughby

i've ordered my paint from avenue group who will do a colour match if you give them the original colour code from vw. Mine was l0h6a. It will take them a couple of weeks. Got mine delivered the other week and the match is excellent, it cost a fair bit,5 ltrs £103,but if the finish is as good as i have seen in the vizi forum i'll be well pleased and its cheaper than i respray!

cheers

ian
if you can't fix it have a drink.