My 84 rusty project

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
[b]This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Re: My 84 rusty project

Postby boatbuilder » 01 Dec 2016, 19:15

My dash lights and clocks had a few gremlins so I made a few changes. I made a second circuit board to supply the 10 volts for the gauges and mounted it on top of the clock housing for easy access. The regulators can go pop very easily if you accidentally short them out so I mounted it on screw terminals so it can be swapped easily.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

80-90 Mem No: 8265

Postby boatbuilder » 06 Dec 2016, 21:42

I refitted the fuel expansion tanks. One of the plastic pipes had snapped off so rather than buy a new one I had a go at fixing it.

I thought I had destroyed my rear badges because I put paint stripper on them and the surface of the plastic just melted and went really horrible. But after grit blasting they cleaned up well and I painted them with chrome paint and then lacquered them. I used an old whiteboard marker dipped in the silver chrome paint to highlight the logos.
Very happy with how they turned out considering what they looked like this morning!

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby New Kentish Campers » 09 Dec 2016, 09:12

It's all coming together nicely now, well done!

:ok
New Kentish Campers

80-90 Mem No: 8994

Postby boatbuilder » 25 Jan 2017, 12:01

Can't believe its the end of January already - some more developments with the van...

I aligned the wheels using the string method. I found that there wasn't quite enough camber adjustment on the rear wheels to bring it to perfect spec, but I got it close enough. Same story with the front wheels. At least I'm pretty sure the thrust angle and toe settings are ok. I didn't even try measuring the castor angle at all. When I renewed the suspension etc, I didn't move the inner nut on the radius rods so hopefully its not that far out.

The big news is that just the day before I had planned to take it for the test, my 1.6d CS engine suddenly started making a massive rattling and clanking noise as I was going up a hill in top gear. It lost a lot of power and I limped the remaining mile home. I'm not 100% sure what happened but I decided that it would be a good opportunity to upgrade the engine anyway as the 1.6d was rather painfully slow anyway.
So I found a 1.9d AEF code engine from a 1999 Polo for €100. It looked in pretty fresh condition with no visible leaks so I bought it.

Some pictures of the new engine ...
Dual mass flywheel will be removed and the normal CS one swapped over..

The Lucas injector pump needs to have the immobiliser removed and the wiring simplified....

Just need to find a plug at a scrapyard to fit in the alternator socket...

On removing the dmf from the AEF, it looks like the crank seal is leaking a bit, so I've ordered a new one...

Spigot bearing on the CS engine had disintegrated! New one will be fitted to the AEF...

Power steering pump on the AEF isn't needed but has to be kept to act as an idler.
So I opened it up and took out the vanes and put it back together.
Then I put a blob of weld in the little hole on one of the outlets and tapped a thread in the other one and epoxied a bolt in place.
Then I filled it with engine oil as I think it needs oil to lubricate the bearings.
The large hexagonal plug can be screwed out as needed to inspect oil level etc - it just seals with an o ring.

So I've taken out the old CS engine and dismantled it to transfer parts over to the AEF.
I discovered a valve imprint on top of one of the pistons, so something strange has been going on in there.

It also had a three notch head gasket so I think that means the engine was skimmed at some point in the past.
Definitely time to upgrade.
Poor old engine, its probably done a lot of miles...

I've also bought some land rover defender mirrors to fit...

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby bigbadbob76 » 25 Jan 2017, 14:46

That valve imprint is in a very strange place!!!
Is the valve stem bent?
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.
bigbadbob76

80-90 Mem No: 15707

Postby boatbuilder » 25 Jan 2017, 18:37

Didn't look bent when I removed the head. Although maybe I'd need to take the valve out completely to check.

1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby eiret25 » 25 Jan 2017, 22:55

Man you're handy. Excellent thread.
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi
eiret25

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby colinthefox » 26 Jan 2017, 14:43

bigbadbob76 wrote:That valve imprint is in a very strange place!!!

No, it's not. That recess in the piston is not a valve pocket, it's the swirl recess leading from the precombustion chamber to promote better combustion. The valves get very close in normal running, so a slight error in timing would show like that imprint.

Boatbuilder, some good info there, but an acknowledgement to http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/16cs- ... 52595.html would be good at this point. :D
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.
colinthefox

80-90 Mem No: 16447

Postby boatbuilder » 26 Jan 2017, 15:14

colinthefox wrote:Boatbuilder, some good info there, but an acknowledgement to http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/16cs- ... 52595.html would be good at this point. :D

Ah yes, I should have mentioned that! :ok
colinthefox has done an excellent write up on the brick-yard for doing the CS to AEF conversion. I wouldn't have considered even trying it if I hadn't read that first!
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby boatbuilder » 26 Jan 2017, 23:14

Fitted the new spigot bearing and crank seal. I gave the flywheel a light sanding with some 240 grit as it looked a bit glazed...

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby mrhutch » 27 Jan 2017, 00:57

if you need help with the immob on the lucas pump then PM me chap..

Watched this thread since the beginning, top work
1982 Vanagon Westy Going GTi again....
mrhutch

80-90 Mem No: 2698

Postby boatbuilder » 27 Jan 2017, 23:45

Thanks mrhutch, haven't quite got to examining the pump yet but I will soon.
So this evening I drilled the new hole for the dipstick. I drilled a 5mm pilot hole first and then bored it out to 10mm.
As my old 1.6CS engine turned out to actually be a 1.6CR engine from a car, it didn't have a t25 dipstick that I could swap over. It had a botched attempt at a dipstick and there was no seal around the top of the dipstick tube.
So I have adapted and reused the AEF dipstick which has a decent looking o ring seal at the top. The aef dipstick isn't long enough to curve round like the t25 one so I've shortened it instead. I had to extend the mounting lug at the bottom to reach the mounting hole.

The main diameter of the hole is 10mm but I had to drill the top of the hole to 14mm diameter to a depth of 12mm to allow the dipstick tube and oring to seat properly. I don't own a 14mm drill so I ground down a cheap Lidl step drill instead and it worked well.

I cut this and welded in new metal to extend the hole by about 25mm.

The tube had to be bent a bit to clear the bypass coolant hose.

Then I cut the dipstick tube and shortened it and rewelded the top section back on at a suitable height so it wouldn't rub on anything. I trial fitted some of the coolant hoses just to check the position was OK.

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby colinthefox » 29 Jan 2017, 10:13

That's a nice solution using the AEF dipstick. :)
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.
colinthefox

80-90 Mem No: 16447

Postby boatbuilder » 20 Feb 2017, 12:04

A good bit more done these past few weeks.

Blanked off the filler tube on the sump - made this plate to fit and attached it with a paper gasket.

New waterpump fitted - old one is on the left.

Old thermostat was genuine vw and looked in good condition so I refitted it...

This plastic coolant flange was removed and replaced with the metal one from the CS engine with the temp sensor on it - new paper gasket fitted and I used some Indian Head as well.
Also the small coolant pipe was blocked off with some hose and a bolt jubilee clipped in the end.
The small blanking plug in the head was unscrewed and the oil pressure sensor fitted.

Excess wiring removed from the injection pump.
Immobilser removed,

This bit thrown away...

Refitting CS exhaust and manifold. Pretty uneventful really. The CS sump was fitted with the old thin CS gasket and some Indian Head. AEF windage tray was removed.
I used the AEF oil pump as it was newer, and swapped over the pickup tube from the CS.

Engine mount brackets fitted - holes in the engine needed cleaning out with a tap.

Cover plate from the CS used...

Torquing up new bolts holding the flywheel...

New clutch fitted...

New timing belt and tensioner fitted...

Modified power steering pump back on...

On the trolley ready to go back in - trolley is from Lidl and it was brilliant.

Engine hoisted into place...

I used a box from Maplin to house the new "Delay off" relay for the cold start advance.
I set the delay time to somewhere around 50 seconds from turning on the ignition.
I couldn't wire it up to the starter wire as once the starter disengages, it shuts off the relay which is no good.

I soldered some resistors into the glow plug sensor wire (about 630 ohms) to allow for a longer glow time.

Inlet manifold was refitted after reshaping the openings to match the CS ones a bit with a powerfile...

Discovered my accelerator cable was bodged...

Alternator was making a heck of a racket as the rear bearing was bad.

https://youtu.be/hRRTcXbK89A

I bought a new one but when it arrived it turned out to have a slightly different casing so it wouldn't fit - so I sent it back and got a refund.
Decided then to just rebuilt my old Bosch one instead so I bought a kit with new bearings, rectifier, slip ring, regulator and clutch pulley.

Used the proper spline tool to remove the pulley,...

These Philips head screws weren't coming out with a screwdriver so I did this..

Six rectifier wires has to be disconnected - they weren't soldered although the wires and the holders seemed to be firmly fused together.
I carefully released them with the powerfile and a sharp wood chisel.

The four long bolts holding the two halves of the casing together were rusted in place and two of them snapped trying to remove them.
I got them out from the other end by welding some small bolts on and twisting them out with vice grips.

Getting the bearings off consisted of breaking the outer shells in the vice, them grinding the inner race until it was thin enough to break.

Carefully removed the old slip ring and disconnected the two wires at the bottom - again they seems to be fused in place so some careful work with the powerfile was needed.

New slip ring carefully seated into place and the two wires were soldered back on.

New front bearing dropped into housing and retaining plate fitted with the four screws.

Stator dropped onto place...

Windings dropped back in place..

Back cover put back in place with new plastic bearing insert.
I used a bit of thread locking compound when fitting the bearing as it was an ever so slightly loose fit.

These six connections have to be crimped and soldered..

All fitted back in place now ... for some reason it didn't work straight away and I had to kick start it with +12v from a battery charger to the D+ connection.
Then I heard a little click and it started working and it works fine connected to the blue wire now. I'm getting 14.2 volts at the battery now.

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby dogbreath100 » 27 Mar 2017, 18:15

Hi, any update on this , been following this a long time.
1984 1.9 diesel1y
dogbreath100

80-90 Mem No: 6251

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration and Major Repairs