The Lankavagon

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: The Lankavagon

Post by what2do »

If I remember correctly, Bo Derek was a 10/10!!!

In other threads I've read that Sikaflex has proven to be less than perfect as a seam sealer, what other brands have been more successful at curing/adhering to paint? I ask because I've 'been doing' mine for over 2 years and need to buy a tube. Many thanks.
Last edited by what2do on 20 Dec 2015, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Ive never and wouldnt use sikaflex (clues in the name) for the vertical seams , i was discussing its one off use along the bottom of the sill where the spots show, it was a mistake,
Normally after painting with your choice of poly/epoxy whatever then a very light coat of stone chip thinned down so its smooth and noyt lumpy,
with regads to your seams, well some folk use tiger with no issues ,weve used
http://3mcollision.com/products/sealant ... 08531.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
note itys for a max of 1/8", god help if you have seams bigger, also we are talking metal/metal seams not seams cut into filler as you will have other issues to attend to there :wink:
a note if you go down the 3m route, the shelf life is very important , dont buy old stock and i would use once opened within a few weeks, thing is all the seam prep is done prior to using this and indeed it is applied after the undercoats,
weve had mixed success with it in so far as 19 out of 20 job would have been fine then one cracks for no reason at all,
there are also trade products that are poly based from the auto paints folk and they work fine and are under £10 cartridge, when youve done the van use it to seam up welds and such
mm

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Thanks for the info. I'm under no illusions that no matter how much prep I do, the seams won't remain perfect for 10 years. I'm not paying any body to do the work so I'll not suffer any disappointment if/when imperfections begin to appear.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Great to have the church open again Mike :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)