Tortugas-van

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Tortugas-van

Post by Plasticman »

well interesting in a way, £1000 worth of test gear and no good here :(
did a wet test circulating
then cap back on and pressurized it all and the cooler leaked
glad in a way as there had to be a reason for the loss of water and the ingress into the inlet tract,so thats that sorted ,now to work a way round it.
got some nice bits here to cheer the job up
opted for rubber for the majority of replacements but have used poly for the inner lower as it is moved in one plane mostly
mm

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

It's bizarre how that worked out. At least we now have an explanation for the coolant on the inlet pipe.

The arms etc are looking really good. It's going to be strange having shines bits on my van! 8)
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Good news on finding the leak, must be a relief actually finding the issue.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well indeed, and rectification is in hand :D in fact every thing is progressing well there are about 7 different things happening and i think its coming together :lol:
got some of this
busy making up the modification for the hi-lift carrier
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well charge cooler is getting made from scratch with a nice new hi-flo core ,should be ready next week :D
that was the last item to be organised so happy now..
and... onto the chassis
we progress slowly and painfully(well to some) :wink:
this shows the lighter outer which was as good as scrap and the remains of the inner 'U' channel,
here you will note it looks to be set back in from the outer, :lol: nah its rottet away to 10% of its thickness
here ive cut a hole to show this,as opposed to just chopping the lot out as it may help somebody doing the same and if nothing else at least explains the construction method.
here i have held a screwdriver at the rearmost point of the inner U
and likewise the front of it
there is more detail in here but easier to show with picks later
the letter A i have marked on the inside of the U channel that is on the inboard side
next is the bar that slides into the box which is tapped out to accept the subframe bolts
here in place
there are subtle differences inside which i will come to lkater ,i have drawn up the dimensions of a repair box so will form this up ,probably do a few of them while im at it, i will also make a few of the inners as well.
mm :D

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

yes mike get yourself some kits together for this area.... :D

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well not as simple as that,
i'm chopping out bit at a time to show the levels it built as, here the upstand joins to two sides of the inner reinforcement panel and i think it is only to keep it apart possibly during construction ?
at the front where the lower part of the chassis is shallower the inner box continues to the front and the 'U'shaped part you see here ties this box to the lower web i havent worked out the constructiuon method yet but im sure it will become apparent,
these next two are looking up into the box and you see how the inner box just finnishes and above it are a number of holes and you will see water and detritus :lol: trails which over the years have worked down between the two layers of steel and so the process began
it has at some point had rustproofing added..
this shows the spots and such that VW did when they added this area, there is also migging on the rear web
i think a lot of this will have to come out
ive just gas axed the bulk of the crap away here no point wasting precision discs :wink:
see how the rust has expanded the thing.
so issue now is that i dont fancy just bobbing a bit in there as there will still be the issue of the front part so i think i will cut the whole lower area out and remake
to which end
right ,off out for tea

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

This is really eye opening,
loving the galv it all makes a such a difference too the under side of the van.
Grate work mike.
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well,hmmmm
it was all getting a bit messy so
off with it all
this little part is needed and i have found that it can only be fitted when the leg is built.
its lower part is puddle welded from the other side (front side)
here
square hole is for inserting the bar with threading to fis the rear mount up to
this picky is looking in from the top, the little part were talking about is on the right and it is itself inside the 3mm inner reinforcing plates, you can also see the plate locates a couple of inches into the shallowwer front section
and this shows the main inner plate spotted through from outside,
these legs are not handed, as will be shown later only the spring turret support plates are
outer being made

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

It's amazing to see how your deductive skills get translated into a work of art. Keep up the good work.
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Only able to view on my phone at the moment. It looks a lot worse than it did from the outside . :shock:
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

If you stuck (I think you won't :wink: ) I found this shop in germany, they are making a rep. section:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

ta zz good link, translation is errrrr :wink: better than any other language i speak :lol:
cant make out what they sell them for though,i note they came to the same conclusions as i have regarding the cause of the rot here still they have lasted near on 30 years so will cut vw some slack :lol:
anyway theirs look good but they only seem to butt up to the front support plates for the turret? i shall progress today as i am i think.
Tom , it dont really matter if its a little rotten or a lot as its all coming out anyway.
mm

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

As I read through the german site (but my german is not as good as my english :wink: ) they are mainly advertising themselves as a repair shop.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Bloody hell. Glad that Atlantis' front chassis isnt as blistered as that one! Cutting disc will tell all. What year is Tom's Westy?