Tortugas-van

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: Tortugas-van

Post by ZsZ »

Keep posting those rust pictures! I love to see how you work.

By the way when was that underside last washed? :)
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Well in fairness the van was on holiday and has been off road and was dropped at mine on the last day of hols hehe
mm

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

That is actually really clean. I power washed it after the last off road session. If I hadn't cleaned it there would have been an inch or two of mud on the trailing arms etc. I find that a thin coating of mud acts a bit like stone chip! :D

So, when do you start the cutting? :shock:
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well tomoz looks like a nice day to cut :D
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well off to the galvanisers tomoz, a few quick jobsm there was a cutout for part of the turbo , i have neatened it up a little
couple of fillets for tea :D
i have removed the bulge from the rail and rewelded it after removing some excess
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well been busy organizing loads of bits and such ,all parts are away as needed, ch cooler being leak tested will pick it up in the morning, theres a bit of oil in it but probably from the breathers
pas pipes of ,heres the new feed line
last thing you want to fail in the desert :wink:
pulled the pipe of the airbox and noticed
theres been a bit of swamp ingress, this looks to be from the join of the pipe to box, will inspect further tomoz
looking at mounting the cooler rad at the top here , i will modify the inside of the panel to accept it nicely and give a touch more clearance between it and the main rad
oil cooler rad going at the bottom ,, well as we speak it is :lol:
some of the old crap bushes etc
the ARB pedastle is being made as we speak and cheaper than an import....
so thats all the things organised etc, now i can attend to the small matter of chopping the rot out,
oh and box is on a pallet to Aiden for collection in the morning so its all coming together nicely
mm :D

ninja.turtle007

Looking good.

There should be 3 parcels arriving with you tomorrow with bushes etc. I am waiting for confirmation for the drop links.

If that's the pipe that goes onto the MAF then I think I have fixed the leak. It was between the MAF and the air box. The pipe from the airbox to the snorkel will be replaced when I get a cyclone filter head as the internal wire has started to rust. I just need to find something suitable.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

yes it was MAF connection.will lookforward to goodies arriving.
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well can confirm that the cooler is good with no leaks between coolant/charge mix.now what i didnt say was that when removing it i disconnected the pipework in the engine bay then to under the arch, the coolant line pulled off with little or no resistance and the way the unit was fitted looks like a little mod required to allow the hose to fit better, easy and cheap as opposed to a new cooler :D as a matter of course will also test the rad to be 100% sure.
mm

ninja.turtle007

metalmick8y wrote:well can confirm that the cooler is good with no leaks between coolant/charge mix.now what i didnt say was that when removing it i disconnected the pipework in the engine bay then to under the arch, the coolant line pulled off with little or no resistance and the way the unit was fitted looks like a little mod required to allow the hose to fit better, easy and cheap as opposed to a new cooler :D as a matter of course will also test the rad to be 100% sure.
mm

I very surprised it isn't leaking. There was what appeared to be coolant in the pipe from the cooler to the inlet.

It looses between 500ml to 1000ml every couple of hundred miles.

I've had the cooler out and didn't put the water pipes back on properly as I knew it would be back out.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

no worry we will recheck this morning and do the rad at the same time.
m

ninja.turtle007

Thanks.

Drop links are on their way.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well
this says its ok :D
done cooler and rad again.
20psi smoke held 10 mins all ok
vac test also held 10 mins no issues
pressure to 30 psi held and no issues
so on that basis i can find nothing wrong with either
im going to fill the lines with the cooler ones joined and work through this aspect,
mm

ninja.turtle007

I don't know what to say. :shock:

I was certain the cooler had an issue.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well, there is/was a small hole visible just below the jubilee clip on one of the front hoses,
it was just visible when fitted but after removal the hose shrank back so i have nipped it as per the picky to show.
next i made up a pipe which i brazed a tube in for a gauge and also brazed a stem in to fit a shrader v/v so I can pressurize it all,
in the first instance i did it dry with the cooler and rad removed, then wet and with the pump running then i pressurized it and there was a tiny weepage from the lower connector on top up bottle
may not seem a lot but with such a small volume of liquid its enough to drop the gauge a touch ( its a fuel pressure one and quite sensitive)so far its holding so next i will add the rad and test again and lastly with the cooler sat in the eng bay so i can observe it,
i am aware that the system has just a circulation pump and will not pressurize it though with it being a sealed system then heat will cause a pressure rise but i doubt this will be as high as the tests we have done ??
mm