The GASWAGON (act III)

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: The GASWAGON (act III)

Post by lloydy »

Yeah, I did add those washers.. Just before my summer hols, I found that the c/cooler rad was gouging into the main rad. A neater way would be good, we mentioned flipping the c/cooler rad around if you remember as someone installed it upside down with the vent at the bottom :roll: when it's turned around there will be more clearance for the main rad as the bolt on the back of the c/cooler rad will then be at the front..
Air to air would be nice, but there is nowhere to install it in a good airflow area. Shame, as less pipes ect would be nice
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

lloydy wrote: Air to air would be nice, but there is nowhere to install it in a good airflow area. Shame, as less pipes ect would be nice

And there is no risk of the core leaking coolant into the inlet.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:
lloydy wrote: Air to air would be nice, but there is nowhere to install it in a good airflow area. Shame, as less pipes ect would be nice

And there is no risk of the core leaking coolant into the inlet.
If there was a good way of doing it....

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

ah the truckvagon donor lol
with regards to the air to air, how much air do we need, i look at the size of the cooler on the golf and that works, has anyone had an af meter in one of the rear vents ? thing with these is its ok to get the air to go in but it has to have a greater exit, still doable,
with regards to the cooler matrix, what size do we need.
aye that bolt does stick out the back a bit dont it, need to have a think about this, it not going to hold anything up and i know we need to maintain the look of the van as near as poss to original but............... :lol:
mm

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

i think the golf or passat matrix is big enough something like this maybe http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SKODA ... 1e8503074b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The best way i have seen them installed, is kinda like you mentioned. at the bottom of the D pillar so the air has to go through it into the engine bay. The outlet from the intercooler was then funneled to the back of the van by the rear light, which gives you the hi/lo pressure area's needed. I'll find the pics for you, quite a good idea..

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

i can happily modify the inside of the rear 1/4 to look like it was meant to be if required and as you rightly say hi-lo pressure a must, i will have a look tomoz, but im sure i can modify the base of rear 1/4 soi it can exit through and under the rear tray area ,needs thought
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

as you know there is a lot going on in the engine bay and it needs simplifying, IF the wc cooler is done away with then that frees up a load of room,
mm

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

AARRGGHH!! my brain is now thinking of unexpected things! :lol:
This does sound sensible though.. i know a few people have opened up the bottom of the D pillar, laid the intercooler down flat and vented into the rear wheel well, but this hasnt worked due to it being a hi pressure area. I think it needs to be vented to the rear end of the van somewhere, maybe instead of just open to the wheel well it could be ducted to a vent on the rear panel??
this is what a guy called libby does. Although i am not too keen on the louvres, his intercooler performs as well as all the water/air ones

I do think this could be a goer, means you don't have to muck around at the front or build that header tank and it will be sooo much tidier

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

apparantly this is the one to use due to outlet connections, comes with either metal or plastic ends. plastic ended ones are dead cheap, metal ones not so..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-900-CLAS ... 3a87ecc15c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well thats one way to do it :wink: and no doubt it works
mm

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

i have confidence you'll find a much more elegant solution :D

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

This is really interesting as I'm currently getting quotes to copy my existing charge cooler that has a leaking core. So far they are coming out a tad on the expensive side. :shock:
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

I'm actually quite excited by this! :oops: I really hope something can be sorted, as it will really free up a lot of space and be a lot simpler design. Looking forard to what magic mike comes up with :D
ninja.turtle007 wrote:This is really interesting as I'm currently getting quotes to copy my existing charge cooler that has a leaking core. So far they are coming out a tad on the expensive side. :shock:

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

dual pass renault one here with good dimensions and inlet/outlet at one end

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

once a size and location are decided upon then the rest it not too hard, as for the cooler itself well if the ends are not where we would require them then easy enough to cut them off and fabricate new ones .
ok this may cost but we are not talking 100's its not difficult nor particularly time consuming, excuse to tig anyways hehe
the fixed things are the van , then available space, these cannot withoin reason be altered that much , so we are easiest to find a core of the correct dimensions and then fabricate the ends to suit OUR need,
picky to follow of rays bay to compare
mm