Best wax for winter storage

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Best wax for winter storage

Post by JeffRoo »

Hi All,
Looking at winter storage for my Caravelle and reading through some posts, they say not to use a vehicle cover and to wax protect it. Also it seems caranuba wax is the best. Having looked there are many manufacturers that make this stuff, so I’m looking for some recommendations.
Auto express have Bilt-Hamber double speed-wax as their number 1 but some amazon reviews are not so good.
What are your recommendations?

PS, yes I know the best place to store the van is in a nice heated, dry, hermetically sealed, garage, but mine is cold, damp and fully of other stuff!
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Best wax for winter storage

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Autoglym HD wax does it for me.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Syncronorth
80-90 Mem No: 17245

Post by Syncronorth »

I'm not an expert and haven't tried many different products, but more or less always been using Collinite 476S and are very happy with it
1983 camper 1.9 DG 1985 transporter syncro 1.9 DG and one 1985 8-seater syncro 2. 1 DJ

VeraPedroMariaWang
80-90 Mem No: 16998

Post by VeraPedroMariaWang »

+1 for the Autoglym. Done mine yesterday while the mrs took the car through an auto wash. When they were sat on the drive next to each other I’ll admit the car looked slightly more shiny (could just be the colour) but when I looked out of the window this morning after rain the car looks wet where as the van look dry. Carnauba wax is the important bit, a good one will last a good few months if not longer and the rain just rolls right off. :ok
Autosleeper 1.9dg

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

I use Meguiars Carnuba wax on mine, however, I have machine polished and clayed my bus and regularly wax it so I’ve built up a few layers (wax is removed after polishing & I’ll post up a guide one day). If you do take it out in the winter I would definitely wash it regularly as the wax won’t do much against any salt that maybe put down. Also do not use a cover, it’s best left uncovered in the winter months.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

Syncronorth wrote:I'm not an expert and haven't tried many different products, but more or less always been using Collinite 476S and are very happy with it

Another vote for the Collinite, it's extremely hard wearing and is actually advertised as 'detergent proof'. It's well worth claying the paint first so that the wax can bond properly and give you a longer lasting protection.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Carnuba wax is the common denominator here
The more it has the better the protection.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

On a related note, for those with fibreglass hightops, I have found Finishkare FK1000p is excellent for giving the gelcoat protection from the elements.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

lkjamieson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by lkjamieson »

300CE wrote:I use Meguiars Carnuba wax on mine, however, I have machine polished and clayed my bus and regularly wax it so I’ve built up a few layers (wax is removed after polishing & I’ll post up a guide one day). If you do take it out in the winter I would definitely wash it regularly as the wax won’t do much against any salt that maybe put down. Also do not use a cover, it’s best left uncovered in the winter months.

Should I use a cover if the van is stored outside? I have bought one but am reluctant to use it as the weather is so damp. It is a breathable cover though?

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

lkjamieson wrote:Should I use a cover if the van is stored outside? I have bought one but am reluctant to use it as the weather is so damp. It is a breathable cover though?

The consensus view is 'don't cover' as you will inevitably get some condensation buildup under any cover that won't dry out.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro