Westy Underslung Gas Tank query.

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jim4447
80-90 Mem No: 8809

Westy Underslung Gas Tank query.

Post by jim4447 »

The tank is corroded ( new 10 years ago ! ) and I hoped to refurb and powder coat, however it might need replacing.
A leading fitter of new vapour tanks informs me they cannot be fitted anymore because of recent legislation regarding ground clearance,
does anyone know anymore about this please ?

jim4447

Re: Westy Underslung Gas Tank query.

Post by jim4447 »

Appears this may have been a misunderstanding, sigh ! :?

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Which bit?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

If it is a genuine westy tank ( not sure it is because you say new 10 years ago) it is 6mm thick , so a bit of surface rust isn’t going to be any issue . The one on my van is 20+ years old , I cleaned it up and repainted it , refitted it .

I’m not aware of any legislation governing domestic gas tanks, not like road fuel which does have rulings on ground clearance
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

jim4447

Post by jim4447 »

Thanks for the above replies.

Had a gas test done on the Westy for a safety cert. and the fitter failed it for corrosion on the underslung tank.( There is a lot , though could do with sand blasting etc, to see the extent )
( Apparently, insurers tell me, this certificate is needed in case of fire etc, without it , no cover.)
I was told it needed a probe to look inside and if no rust, it might pass if cleaned up and refinished.
The only ones offering this service ( Thirsk ) says any corrosion fails the latest regs, they used to test and refurb, now no longer possible.Any further info on this appreciated.

So while looking for a new tank, came across this info that anything above a 175 dia tank was too big for a Westy. Ground clearance issue, however, they are already fitted with 200 dia so a new tank is possible.( Fake news lol )
Any info on fitting these ,Tinley Tech or Autogas 2000 ones with modified brackets ( trying to avoid hoops etc ) and Gas Tank valve covers that fit the longer 50mb regulator would be gratefully received.

The tank I have looked new when I got it ten years ago, as the seller informed me in Germany, could have been a refurbed one.
My stupid fault not having some protective coating on the red and white banding when I first got it
Hindsight is a great thing !

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Take it off, clean it up, repaint it , put it back on and find a better insurance company
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

jim4447

Post by jim4447 »

Thanks for the above, my own thoughts exactly.

However it is troubling that I guess this is a "get out " clause in all policies, ie, in case of fire, no safety cert for the gas system and no cover !

You could lose everything against the cost of a new tank.
I have seen several tanks, worse than mine, sand blasted and coated and look the business .They are probably safe as a modern one.

The newer ones have slightly different fittings( feet etc ) and I have been looking at alternative fixing brackets with a welder and wondered had anyone else got any ideas on this.
To put my tank ( refurbed ) back on, it needs testing and it seems nobody does this anymore, checking inside etc for any corrosion.

Anybody got any ideas on this please ?