Compression fridge or portable coolbox advice

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jiffies
80-90 Mem No: 7506

Compression fridge or portable coolbox advice

Post by jiffies »

Looking at buying a compression fridge, but cant decide if I want a standard upright like the Dometic CRX 50? Or to go for a portable compressor coolbox, that can be easily taken out of the van for ease of use. The Dometic ones are silly money.
Anyone recommend any other brands? Ive seen "BERG" that seem reasonably priced but not sure about the quality or efficiency? I will be running it off leisure battery & solar when I get the cash together for a panel too.
I would appreciate thoughts/comments?
Cheers
Jiffies

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Compression fridge or portable coolbox advice

Post by Jim San »

Yep, they are not cheap but they work really well without hammering your power. I also run of LB as we ditched hook up a few years ago. I don't use panels but most do - we don't use a lot of power as we only have LED lights, fridge, charge a phone or camera every so often andvery occasionally the night heater.

I went with portable as it suits my needs - we can carry sufficient food in the 18ltr capacity and it chlls beer down pretty quick. Having a 30 ltr capacity fridge is a hug amount of space dedicated to one use.

A portable can also be used in the other car if required
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I got the one in the link below (though it was only £280 when I bought it), but worth looking at the other "suggestions" further down that Amazon page.

It goes cold VERY quickly and can go as low as minus 15 if you need it and it only uses about 2 Amps when it's on (but of course the thermostat turns it on and off, so it's not a constant 2 Amps.) I am very pleased with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

jiffies wrote:Looking at buying a compression fridge, but cant decide if I want a standard upright like the Dometic CRX 50? Or to go for a portable compressor coolbox, that can be easily taken out of the van for ease of use. The Dometic ones are silly money.
Anyone recommend any other brands? Ive seen "BERG" that seem reasonably priced but not sure about the quality or efficiency? I will be running it off leisure battery & solar when I get the cash together for a panel too.
I would appreciate thoughts/comments?
Cheers
Jiffies

IMO other than the big brands they all the same chinese stuff which are copy one of the big names

The upright ones have smaller footprint and probably easier to organize which can be an advantage while the coolbox types keep the cold more easier as cold air wont escape with every opening.
You need to priorize.
Probably the built in top-loaders (like Dometic Coolmatic CB series) are the best compromise
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

We bought a Waeco coolfreeze cdf18 portable compressor fridge and it must be 20+ years old. Extremely reliable, actually freezes even in high ambient temperatures and we can put it in the awning or put it in the boot of the car if we are going out for the day but not using the camper. I think its now called dometic rather than Waeco.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

Has anybody got one of these? If so interested in your reviews.
https://www.raptor4x4.co.uk/expedition- ... idges.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

I went through a similar process last year though I was after 12/240v as I go both hookup and off grid. The consensus was to go with a compressor unit, some good tips and links on here if you haven't already read this thread:
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 0&t=169409
1983 DG Kamper 2

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

Cheers Ant